An elderly relative of mine swallowed his dentures last month, and they got stuck in his throat. He spent eight days in the hospital and the bill was $106,911.93. I'm glad he's not one of the 50.7 million US citizens without insurance or this would have bankrupted us.
Here's a scan of the insurance document.
Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects