imbox-infinity.jpg Happy Monday. (Thanks, skgreen!)

8 Responses to “Inbox infinity”

As anyone who has ever programmed in assembly or hex on a computer chip can tell you, this is the default technique used by computers. I often tell people that I use the “Stack” method of organization to get things done. It’s the same method used by computer chips so it must be very efficient. Computer chips use different stacks to keep track of different events like interrupts, program sequences and flags settings. It’s called “Pushing” when you put something on the stack and “Popping” when you pull something from the stack. A common command might look like pop sp
    push sp

This is like setting a book mark about where the stack pointer (sp) was before you begin an operation that might change the stack pointer so you can retreive it later for a “return” operation.

2. teapot says:

If you really want to speed things up you should try my work inbox technique:

1) Inbox full warning pop-up
    2) Select ‘sort by size’
    3) Shift+Del all emails larger than 1mb in inbox & sent
    4) Deal with missing stuff later

hasn’t failed me yet.

3. teapot says:

(I suppose the real work analogue would be matches)

4. r0b0 says:

I hate it but somebody has to do this: Dear Jimmy, next time you upload a picture to BB (or any other website for that matter), could you please resize it not to be 3000px wide and 900kB large? And no, setting the size attributes in the img tag doesn’t cut it.

5. ransom notes says:

It is so organized. I should implement this system. :J

Interesting. By turning the piles of paper from “portrait” to “landscape” (if you will), you reduce the workload by 23% in seconds. Imagine if that kind of productivity were applied to our world (starting with the government first, of course.) — we’d all have our jetpacks by 2012.

[This message is sponsored by RiteAngle Industries, sole provider of official, certified protractors to the public and private sectors.]

7. lectroid says:

I could be mistaken, but I believe this is the widely used but little acknowledged ‘archeological’ filing system, a default of the brilliant-but-absentminded and not-so-brilliant-and-lazy professionals everywhere.

The system is beautiful in its simplicity, and for certain cases, extremely efficient, though admittedly, there are numerous cases where searchtimes can go well beyond O(n^2)

In a nutshell, it may described by the statement “The deeper it is, the older it is.” This is usually implemented as one or mores stack (FILO) structures. In theory, this ordering can be maintained indefinitely, but extreme care is necessary.

In practice, however, those most likely to use this system are not willing or able to maintain the structure, and set items are apt to ‘drift’ randomly in their position in the stack, or unexpectedly shift to a different stack altogether. Lost set members are common, often ending up in a non-searchable null stack and considered unretrievable, unless or until the system is reset, which requires a time-consuming audit. Rather perversely, some adherents claim this as a feature of the system, saying “If I haven’t found it in over a week, it must not have been that important anyway.”

I just made this today :D (sorting papers to begin a new month)