Decomposing Hamburgergate: Now with 100% more science!

21 Responses to “Decomposing Hamburgergate: Now with 100% more science!”

1. baracudaboy says:

Eww, why are you trying to ENDORSE eating at Mcdonalds? If anything we should all be trying to shut them down.

2. Monica hughes says:

Yup, food rots. To the person above who asked about the fries, check out my experiment on those (and the burgers, showing similar results to Serious Eats for those) here:

Yay science!

4. blueelm says:

People really think they don’t rot?

McDonalds would be making a much bigger fortune if they had actually invented non-rotting hamburgers.

• Brainspore says:

I heard this claim retread on NPR just last week. (Thankfully the person actually making the claim was a nutrition advocate, not a reporter.)

5. warreno says:

There are plenty of other reasons to not eat a McBurger. Mummification is so declassé.

“Periodically, over the last year, I’ve wasted a day or so screaming at my computer screen about how photos of a McDonald’s hamburger failing to rot were not a sign that the food was somehow artificial or dangerous”

Heh heh. Me too.

7. dollarama says:

Haha. I’m totally going to McDicks for lunch right now.

To the haters: occasional indulgence is good for the soul! You only live once.

8. Tim says:

This makes me happy. I’m glad someone is actually applying science to these things.

It’s very much a fad to rag on how bad fast food is that it’s gotten to the point where even totally ridiculous things are believed.

Hooray for people using logic and science.

Why the strikethrough? It looks like the rot is alive and healthy.

So twice as much science as there was before?

Your point is well taken, but what about the McDonald’s french fries?

• Gnou says:

Same thing. They’re frozen, then deep fried, then doused in salt.
      Which would take care of the moisture in just about any living organism.

Too bad a thousand words are not worth a picture.

12. Dr.Gee says:

this happy meal burger is clearly rotting solely due the departure of its longtime friend, “Toy”.

Well I sure can sleep easy knowing that someone is defending McDonalds. I mean just IMAGINE what would have happened if people actually BELIEVED that their hamburgers were crap? That was a close call.

• Jerril says:

No-one is defending McDonalds. But no-one is defending “sheltered” people who have never seen dry meat before either.

The idea that food must immediately turn to green slime and/or grow fur past its expiry date is responsible for both a lot of food poisoning (“It looks fine!”) and a lot of perfectly good food being turfed because the magic date line has been crossed (“I don’t care, it’s expired it goes in the trash!”).

14. Rider says:

Sad that BoingBoing has published the story not once but twice. At least one person cares about science on here.

15. S2 says:

Perfect timing — made a bet on this topic with a McDonalds-denier 6 days ago, and now I’ve won the tidy sum of 5 golden samolians, woo! “No dog food for Victor tonight.” ;-)