Weird Tales-inspired poetry from a 73-year-old retired civil servant

18 Responses to “Weird Tales-inspired poetry from a 73-year-old retired civil servant”

1. arri says:

i love this. i’m feeling inspired to revisit a genre that i haven’t indulged in in ages. congratulations mr phillips!

I skimmed the article, saw “Asperger’s” and then mis-re-read the title as referring to a “…73-year-old retired civil savant”

Heh.

Congratulations, Mr. Phillips.

3. tad604 says:

Awesome, I take exception to the “not successful” bit. If he fancied himself happy, I would call him successful.

4. Tavie says:

His other daughter is very proud of him too :) She’s just not a complete geek who lives online…

5. Tavie says:

P.S. Thanks for posting this, Cory. This is way better a Christmas present than the books I got him. (Like he has room for more books.)

6. Daemon says:

“He wasn’t what you would call successful”

Actually, he sounds like he was probably enjoying life, rather than being a slave to it. That’s pretty much the only reasonable definition of success.

7. cameronh1403 says:

‘He wasn’t what you would call successful’

He is successful in the ways that matter and that makes this a great story!

Thanks Cory!

8. Leigh Blackmore says:

Fred is one of our major weird poets. I also have had the pleasure of reading his poetry through the EOD. Anyone who enjoys weird and fantastic verse, and indeed, poetry of an old-fashioned formalist and well-craft quality, should read Fred’s collection.

Leigh Blackmore
    Preident, Australian Horror Writer’s Association

9. stalkingcat says:

Great story!

I’m intrigued, but I want to see a little of his work. Perhaps we could get a sample of one of his poems?

These responses are really warming my heart. Of course, Dad doesn’t know how to click a link so I’ll probably have to print them out and show them to him… hehehe. Old people.

@Stalking cat, he doesn’t have much published online, but this bit of verse from a 60s fanzine is actually not a bad representation of his style: http://fanac.org/fanzines/Monster/Monster14-20.html

The work in “From the Cauldron” isn’t as light or self-referential and deals more with arcane, gothic subject matter. But this is all I could find online. :)

11. razen cain says:

Ya Tavie, ask your dad to post something sinister here for us to peruse!

I have had the pleasure and the privilege of reading Fred’s poetry in his amateur journal for the Esoteric Order of Dagon Amateur Press Association. This book is something I have been looking forward to for some time.

Martin A

13. ibbers says:

that is truly an awesome story.

the world can be fantastic sometimes :)

14. pinehead says:

What ibbers said.

15. peterbruells says:

But what about his other daughter? The suspense is killing me!

16. pKp says:

Awesome. Truly.

17. hassan-i-sabbah says:

In the cold Scottish morning,this warmed the old assassins heart.

18. Tavie says:

Dad sez,

ERATO

O, sister, whence art thou unto us come?
    Our road with peril fraught and none to guide
    Hath stretched since youth until our strength were done
    And shelter there was none wherein to hide.
    From Bekra, long timeworn when Khem were old,
    Thy mystic lyre bore thou as our Sign,
    Thou, whose ancient tales as yet untold
    Whose Singers served as Luna-masters’ kine.
    Upon our hearts thine ancient Seal was set
    That binds us to some covert Being still
    For aeons till our Destiny were met
    Our ancient geas we may at last fulfill,
    And when their tattered banners they unfurl,
    They will once more reoccupy the world.

-Fred Phillips