Simple Science: Minimalist examples of scientific concepts

6 Responses to “Simple Science: Minimalist examples of scientific concepts”

Yah, and the incandescent bulbs are in no way going to be powered by dirt or potato, or even a dirty potato, even if wired properly. I think the photographer is trying to be like Berenice Abbott with her physics photos, but is failing.

Am I the only one bothered by the way the bulbs are wired?

Uh, the wires on the lightbulb aren’t in the right place. One needs to be on the side, the other on the bottom. The way it is is a short circuit.

Some of these could make great science textbook photos (The ones kids get these days are confusing and of generally poor quality).

But like the other posters mentioned, some of these won’t even wort.

Linda here! Yes, the only concepts that I post-produced were the two lightbulb photographs (combining 2 photos of the bulb off and on). However, the point of the photographs were to create a visual metaphor for electricity and it’s origins, rather than a “this is how you make a potato clock” diagram. In that way they’re made to emphasize the scientific concept rather than the experiment, which I believe is much more powerful as the actual voltage only manages to power a dinky flashlight bulb. I tried to illicit this idea of fantasy by suspending the bulbs in an impossible gravity-defying position, but point well taken!

All the other photographs are 100% genuine with no smoke and mirrors.

6. Rezmason says:

Reminds me of the clean photographic style of DK’s old series of Eyewitness books.