JR Minkel, science writer, RIP

15 Responses to “JR Minkel, science writer, RIP”

There is a memorial fund set up to help support his family and to be donated in his name.

very sad

Why did he do it? (It matters.)

4. Kosmoid says:

Read his wonderful article on epigenetics.

Just as we thought we had cancer figured out with a model of DNA mutations, along comes epigenetics–another layer of complexity.

When those with subtle minds commit suicide, we have to wonder where we took the wrong turn.

5. Timmers says:

Great article, also in Scientific American, on why people commit suicide. Not saying it applies in this case, but I found it really interesting:

In particular, this:

“You’re going to die soon enough anyway; even if it’s a hundred years from now, that’s still the blink of a cosmic eye. In the meantime, live like a scientist—even a controversial one with only an ally or two in all the world—and treat life as a grand experiment, blood, sweat, tears and all. Bear in mind that there’s no such thing as a failed experiment—only data.”

@Anon #5

I don’t know exactly why, but I know JR had been having problems for years. I tangentially knew him (mutual friends) and just from the few times I met him, I can’t say this is a surprise. I hope he’s found peace.

7. cupcakecalamity says:

What a terrible loss. Thinking of those that love him.

8. Utenzil says:

Yes, this is sad. His the the kind of writing I like to read, and I wish I had known more about his work prior to this.

9. jorge_salazar says:

Thanks Boing Boing for this tribute for science writer J.R. Minkel.

10. murray says:

That’s sad. I hope he left a note.

11. IgnatiusJReilly says:

Why do I feel like saying “Oh God?”

And why when intelligent humans choose to end their lives do I feel extremely spooked?

Very sad. I hope he can rest.

JR was brilliant. I sat next to him in 8th grade science class and had the biggest crush on him! No doubt many pages in my journal are forever dedicated to him. Wishful thinking to go back to a time of such innocence. JR you are missed dearly..

14. tamgoddess says:

Damn. Suicide is a clusterf**k for everyone involved. It solves nothing. My condolences to his family and friends.