More geeky science badges please!

22 Responses to “More geeky science badges please!”

1. PurpleWyrm says:

How’s about a clenched fist and a crescent moon for “I punch moon-landing deniers” (or “I am Buzz Aldrin”)?

And personally I’d proudly wear a “I burnt off my fingerprints for science” badge (for the record, they grew back…)

2. justawriter says:

I can’t believe you don’t have a “Hot glass is visually identical to room temperature glass” badge.

3. Mark Dow says:

“Busted for Science”, for those who have eaten balogna sandwiches on white bread in a jail cell in the interest of advancing understanding of the natural world.

4. Dave Ng says:

These are awesome! I’m on it!

Genuine question, not meant to sound snarky, at the gent from Scouts Canada: Do your troops allow gay members? In the U.S., not so much.

Dang, when I first starting reading this I was hoping it would be a geeky alternative for my 6 year old to that proto-fascist organization of brown shirts.
    Then I got to the beer – *sigh* even I can’t really see giving a six year old beer.

7. adamnvillani says:

My parents managed the difecta of being both science geeky and religious geeky with my name. My first and middle names are Adam and Neil, named after the first man on the Earth and the first man on the Moon. When somebody sets foot on Mars, I’ll pick up another name.

8. JIMWICh says:

Anything what calls itself a “Jamboree” really oughta have a few animatronic hillbilly bears playin’ jugs, fiddles, washboards, ‘n such.

9. TheMadLibrarian says:

I have a three-parter:

Level 1: I’ve designed my own scientific equipment, because what’s available needs tweaking.
    Level 2: I’ve commissioned my own scientific equipment, because I can describe what I need, and it ain’t available, nohow.
    Level 3: I’ve built my own scientific equipment, because no one else can construct the interferometer specialty support to the tolerances I need.

Symbol: a wrench and bolt with a I, II or III

10. Darwindr says:

Thanks Dave, now I can add the been boinged badge!
    (http://www.nerdmeritbadges.com/products/been-boinged)

I’d also like there to be a “Has Impersonated a Famous Scientist” badge, but maybe that’s too specific. However, these kids would all be eligible: http://articles.wdbj7.com/2010-11-03/wax_24811459

Looking forward to the next jamboree!

These two photoshopped alt badges were posted a few years ago. Critical thinking and hacking I believe:

As a highly connected member of Scouts Canada, in Vancouver, I think we should talk about how my organization can help yours make more Science Scouts Jamborees happen.

13. Gingersnaps212 says:

My job is a completely different field of science than my degree

If there isn’t a “I’ve put random stuff in liquid nitrogen because i can and it’s cool” badge i’ll be very disappointed.

15. k7aay says:

‘FISSION’ badge for breeding U233 from Thorium
    ‘FUSION’ badge for building a Farnsworth Fusor
    ‘ANTENNA’ badge for building a receiver and transmitter on unlicensed bands
    ‘ANTENNA-PLUS-HAMBONE’ badge for earning an amateur radio license

ScienceSig: “…the ClimateGate scandal broke into the news, and the machinations of the principal alarmists were revealed to the world. It was a fraud on a scale I have never seen, and I lack the words to describe its enormity. This is not science; other forces are at work.” goo.gl/KbWq – UC Physics Prof. Emeritus Harold Lewis

To answer the question about Scout Canada, we have no barrier to entry (or continued enrolement) of that kind. We are even co-ed, and have been in some degree for youth participants since 1972. Our programs serve youth ages 5-26.

17. The Chemist says:

Because let’s be honest… we should be able to unlock achievements in real life too.

18. RebNachum says:

Howzabout “I am what I wanted to be when I grew up?”

I want a “Not saying I’m going to do it, but I happen to have access to everything required for cloning myself” badge.