Valentine's Day cards + science = awesome

23 Responses to “Valentine's Day cards + science = awesome”

1. Ironic Sans says:

*ahem* See also: http://www.ironicsans.com/2008/02/idea_scientist_valentines.html

Seriously, though, these are great. Nice work!

Yes, there ARE greeting cards in the works with the current designs. There will be another series next year, with more female scientists (the reason I didn’t have more this time is that I was crunched for time and this batch had the best cheesy lines). I’ll definitely be producing more science-y needy stuff in the near future, so keep an eye on my Etsy shop if you’re interested.

Cheers,
    Stephoodle :)

3. Sekino says:

@Chentzilla, Capissen and peterbruells: You choose the view that the artist was making a pun about Marie Curie’s death. But radioactivity was Marie Curie’s principal field of research and ‘Radium’ is the name she coined for one of the elements she discovered.

I think it is safe to think that the terms the artist chose was in celebration of Curie’s LIFE achievements and discoveries. Yes, radiation ultimately caused her death, but it also got her two Nobel prizes and a choice place in history.

4. gerbula says:

Ahem…

Goodall: You make me go apeshit!

Huygens: Let’s make waves

Edison: You light up my life

Chomsky: (NP) I (VP) love you

Descartes: You smile, therefore I am

Ironic Sans covered Darwin pretty well. As for E.O Wilson I got nothin’… maybe something with consilience…

5. Rob Cruickshank says:

E.O. Wilson: “You give me ants in my pants!” Or perhaps “You’re a super organism!”

6. Prufrock451 says:

E O Wilson:

“Science and religion should be partners, and so should we.”
    “You can use sociobiology to explain away anything – except why you shouldn’t be my Valentine.”

7. Rob Cruickshank says:

Henrietta Swan Leavitt: “No one can hold a (standard) candle to you!”

8. zoink says:

Goodall: “Let’s monkey around!”

Tesla: “You alternate my current!” or “Let’s make sparks!”

Grace Hopper: “You debug my heart!”

(Yeah, I know Goodall studies apes. But the play on words is hard to resist.)

9. peterbruells says:

Wow, the one for Turing is astonishingly tame. After seeing Curie, I was expecting something like “I’d share my Apple with you.”

10. Sekino says:

A few more gals:

Emilie du Châtelet: “You have my undivided attention!”

Alice Hamilton: “You are intoxicating!”

Maria Mitchell: “My star shines only for you!”

Lise Meitner: “I shall single-handedly win your heart!”

Sofia Kovalevskaya: “Let’s add you and me together!”

Chien Shiung Wu: “We are bound by strong nuclear force!”

Emmy Noether: “We make beautiful symmetry!”

11. Capissen says:

The Marie Curie one…wow.

Too soon?

12. Art says:

Whoa…Robb & Prufrock. Those are quotable! Thanks.

13. Jack says:

Michio Kaku: My heart strings have a theory about you! ;)

Jane Goodall Valentine:

You’re the Gorrila my dreams!

15. Boba Fett Diop says:

Bad science valentines:

Stahl: You ignite my phlogiston.

Lamarck: My heart has adapted through your influence upon it.

Brahe: You are the planet around which my love revolves in an epicyclical fashion.

16. glaborous immolate says:

What, no Darwin declaring his beloved is fit to survive and propagate the species? Bill Nye has failed.

17. Prufrock451 says:

Jane Goodall jokes ahoy!

-I want to observe you for decades.
    -I am surprised by the complexity of your social life.
    -You stick grass in the termite hole of my heart.

No, I can’t do any better.

18. Chentzilla says:

Yeah, light holiday jokes about a scientist’s cause of death. Totally not creepy.

I go ape over you? *gong*

20. Scixual says:

My first accepted submission!

It’s going well this year, I hope she’ll expand the line before next year.

I wonder if we can badger her into birthday cards…

David Bohm: “I’d like to discover YOUR hidden variables.”
    Ok ok. Way too creepy.
    David Bohm: “Baby, let’s interact as a whole.” “You’re my only relatively-stable abstraction.”
    OK I am not good at this.

But there’s something wonderfully romantic about the Heisenberg one. Certainty is perhaps THE most difficult aspect of a relationship, at least in my opinion…