Scientists journey into an active volcano crater

19 Responses to “Scientists journey into an active volcano crater”

1. emmdeeaych says:

Sam: What are you waiting for? Just let it go!

Frodo: The ring is mine.

2. boo says:

Absolutely stunning photos, but that is what National Geographic does best.

And before this I thought that the storm chasers were crazy …

Bravery in the name of science…
    shouldn’t they have like, a standard bearer or something?

-Blaze

4. RSFSmee says:

Point 1: Am I the only one who is reminded very strongly of the album-art from Rick Wakeman’s “Journey to the Center of the Earth?”

Point 2: Proof of why we need to go to space — geology needs to be done in person, even when it’s ferociously perilous

Point 3: Fantastic. These people really *do* need a medal.

Amazing. That lava pool is incredible.

Also, epic embark site.

6. Prufrock451 says:

I have the high ground!

7. Lumpmoose says:

Great pictures, but they’re so dramatic that it’s hard to tell what’s going on. I recommend these to accompany them: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/nyiragongo_crater_journey_to_t.html

There’s really only one thing I can say in response to this.

THE FLOOR IS LAVA.

9. joeposts says:

He should get some buckets and build an obsidian farm.

10. phisrow says:

Badass; but I have to wonder if a cheap R/C quadrocopter might have been a better choice than an expensive and flammable geologist for sample gathering…

• Anonymous says:

I suspect nothing cheap would be able to take the heat, approaching something hot from above is a bad idea and from the sound of it no robot could have gotten there horizontally.

• penguinchris says:

Well, I guess there are many reasons people become geologists, but for many (including myself) one of the main reasons was to potentially have the chance to do stuff like this. If there was a choice between flying in an R/C helicopter or being able to relatively safely walk out there in person, 99% of geologists would choose to go in person.

Geology field work is special – you go to extreme places not just because you can (like mountaineers and other extreme sports kinds of things), but for the advancement of scientific knowledge – *and* because you can :)

That said, most geologists never have the opportunity to do any particularly cool field work, even if they want to.

Don’t stand in the fire, noob.

12. Cowicide says:

Did the CEO from Godaddy throw any live elephants into the lava while they were there?

That’s a PHOTO?!

I thought it was a drawing or painting or something! Amazing!

No comment on the epic skull in the bottom right quarter of the photo, or how “Gon[e]” is written in the dark spots lava, across the center of the photo? And like, I’m not trying to be one of those “I found jesus in my burger” types.

15. Modusoperandi says:

Pbbt! That crater’s not so active.*

* Punchline to Shaggy volcano story.

Wouldn’t it be easier to move the people? I’d say building a town in such an obviously bad spot wasn’t such a good idea in the first place and trying to protect it is a losing proposition in the long run.