Righthaven copyright troll loses domain

12 Responses to “Righthaven copyright troll loses domain”

1. billstewart says:

Unfortunately, ICANN works for the Trademark Police, and the rules about whois records needing to contain your True Name and ICBM address are there because they think delivering trademark violation subpoenas is more important than protecting privacy, and they’ve extended that to helping the Copyright Police as well.

Yes, Righthaven are trolls, and it’s fun to see karma catch up with such a deserving target, but that’s not what whois was originally for. Furthermore, if you know you’re scum and are willing to spend $100 or so to protect your scummy business, you can get yourself a cheap Delaware corporation, and register the name with the whois record pointing to your official corporate address in a lawyer’s drawer in northern Delaware (as I found out when tracing one annoying spammer.) So the policies are violating the privacy of regular people, while not protecting the trademark holders from commercial thieves.

• pauldavis says:

you don’t even need to do that. sign up for hosting with the web host i use, and they will happily keep your ID private by listing themselves as proxy registrants for WHOIS records. check the WHOIS info for jackaudio.org, for example.

@Rider They didnt do what they were supposed to. How is GoDaddy enforcing their rules “any” reason. You make it sound like they just picked a site at random.

3. Gunn says:

Yay! Thanks for the info, Cory.

I love the idea that this is tagged “petard.”

5. Will/Nobilis says:

This is the best news so far to come out of the Righthaven fiasco. I laughed so much when I read this, I woke my neighbors.

6. Jake0748 says:

yay :)

Awesome. Although now I’m sure Righthaven will sue GoDaddy.

Judging by one blogger’s attempt to contact them (http://ix23.com/righthaven-shakedown/blog/), it’s not like they were using it anyway.

9. badtux says:

Sadly, they have *not* lost the domain. All that has happened is that GoDaddy has suspended it until RightHaven pays a $10 “reinstatement fee” and provides correct WhoIs info. When that’ll happen, who knows — but it will likely happen early next week.

10. Rider says:

I don’t like GoDaddy playing internet nanny and taking down anyones domain for any reason.