Kinect and 3D printer turns people into action-figure souvenirs

12 Responses to “Kinect and 3D printer turns people into action-figure souvenirs”

1. PDXgirl says:

First it was the cheese fountain, then the photo booth. The next big thing to hit wedding receptions: Self Portrait Figurines! (I’ve always wondered what my army men looked like when they were drunk.)

2. Susan Oliver says:

want want want

3. CANTFIGHTTHEDITE says:

I’m sure I’m not the first person to think this, but this would be wonderful for making your own D&D figures. You could just pose, or create a rough sculpture, and then print as many figurines as you need.

4. davejenk1ns says:

A great concept, but can we please turn down the artiste doublespeak?
    “under-laying spaces and their own realities”? “a trade-off between identity and gentrification”? “technological ritual”?

And again:
    “The project mimics the informal artistic context of this popular street, human sculptures and craftsmen, bringing diverse realities and enabling greater empathy between the agents that cohabit in the public space.”

I once dated an architecture student, and she was very conflicted– she was smart and creative, and wanted to express herself through “space”, but also realized that ultimately it’s about function and usability. I always suspected that the overuse of words like “space” and “identity” and “subtext” in art and architecture were meant as a sort of intellectual barrier. I don’t doubt the artists and architects actually believe in this, I am just saying that it’s needlessly over-complex in trying to communicate something.

They’d get a lot further by opening a booth in Times Square and charging $10 per figurine.

• osmo says:

… why dont you open that booth and those people keep at recreating futures?

Its not about making cash, what engineers never get is why no one likes their ideas and what artists can’t grasp is why people never use theirs. So why not relax yourself and perhaps copypasta this and use it on your own? Improve it, change it and fix it. You rock, they rock, we rock.

• Anonymous says:

haha!
      you are completly right!
      but please, understand it was meant for artists and architects!
      (also for myself, as one of them ;D)
      blablabLAB

5. Eugene says:

Amazing. First time I see a 3D-printer! Cheese? Why not?

6. Bloo says:

Holy Sintered Layers, Batman! I _just_ finished the section of “Makers” where the little kids offer Sammy a souvenir bust of his head.

Is it a special kind of singularity when reality catches up to science fiction and passes it?

7. shenzahn says:

What’s the song in the video?

these look like figurines….not action figures.