Biography of Austin Osman Spare, occultist and artist

13 Responses to “Biography of Austin Osman Spare, occultist and artist”

1. politeruin says:

Weirdly, no mention of one of his most well known advocates in Alan Moore; makes a lot of sense he would be a fan. He even did a short piece about him for BBC2′s Culture Show…

posts like this upset my deeply emotional disbelief in magic and materialist worldview.

3. M says:

“Austin Osman Spare (1886-19456). . .”
    I think we should certainly value the thoughts of a man who lived nearly 18,0000 years!

4. M says:

Darnnit–now I did it too! 18,000 years, that is.

5. thequickbrownfox says:

The last of the Pre-Raphaelite brethren.

6. David Pescovitz says:

I’m glad my typo brought you such joy!

7. Laina Lain says:

“…the odds were already stacked against him by the hidden injuries of class; lacking in education and the social skills to get on in the metropolitan art world…”

I’m starting to wonder if he’s an ancestor of mine. xD

8. dia sobin says:

Thanks! I had never heard of this artist before… There’s an article with many examples of his work which can be found here:

9. Kleinzeit says:

“Spare’s medicine is too strong for the average man.”

To my mind George Bernard Shaw’s comment reads like an endorsement rather than a criticism.

10. Zoman says:

Fortean Times 144 (March 2001) ran a 7 page article on Spare. By some strange coincidence it is sitting on top of a pile of books in my bathroom.

11. emilydickinsonridesabmx says:

My first job out of college was working at used/rare book shop, and I ended up staying there for about 5 years. Over that time, I amassed a huge collection of books, and I would always buy anything that seemed really odd, out of the ordinary and cheap. I ended up with a bunch of volumes of “The Equinox”, which was sort of the in-house magazine of the OTO. A couple came into the shop, looking for copies of “The Equinox”. I mentioned that I had a bunch of them at home. We ended up working out a trade, and I got 2 Austin Osman Spare sketches out of the deal, which I still have. He’s a super interesting character, and his artwork is just amazing.