What is a jellyfish?

23 Responses to “What is a jellyfish?”

1. ZippySpincycle says:

Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles! Does this Haddock fellow hang out with a young English journalist who owns a white terrier?

2. Mister44 says:

It makes you wonder how old sea life really is, as soft bodies like these are near impossible to preserve (though there are some around.)

The Burgess shale fossils have some true aliens preserved. I can only imagine the crazy soft bodied beasts from long ago.

If I had an armored sub time machine, I’d visit the Precambrian/Cambrian ocean. I imagine it would be scary and as alien as all get out.

3. zorlac says:

My favorite BB post in a while. Great stuff.

• teufelsdroch says:

Seconded. What I love is the siphonophores, I think Physophora hydrostatica has it all over on hallucinogenia. What I really like is that most of them are so loosely aggregated that they can’t even be observed outside of the deep sea.

Insane Clown Posse is stumped too:

“F***king Jellyfish, How Do They Work?”

The phrase you are looking for is “Nominative Determinism”

6. freshacconci says:

The fact that they just may be immortal is reason enough to be in awe of these wonderful brainless creatures.

I have a brain and I will die vs. no brain and I’ll live forever. Which do I choose?

• Gulliver says:

Jellyfish have no internet connection. Or higher brain functions. So they can’t ask the question.

The real question is:

Would you rather have a brain and die of old age, or be so fragile and defenseless that the only way your genes can ensure their survival is by not programming you cells to die?

7. JustOk says:

Haddock? Like he had a dock, for like fishing and boats and stuff and that was the only reason he got hooked on fish-ish things?

8. blendergasket says:

I love jellyfish. The bio-luminescent ones look like something out of a rather delightful hallucination.

9. LogrusZed says:

“[Jellyfish] are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. ”

-Karl Pilkington

10. drukqs says:

What is a jellyfish? If you ask a Chinese person, we’ll answer, delicious.

11. Lobster says:

What ARE birds? We don’t know.

12. gwailo_joe says:

Nautilus, y’all. . .Nautilus.

Tentacles AND a shell??? Pfft. . .give em lasers and they’d rule the planet.

13. Mister44 says:

I LOVE deep sea stuff. There is a great book out there called The Deep that features a lot of these guys.