City of London confiscates @towerbridge account, kills playful bot

19 Responses to “City of London confiscates @towerbridge account, kills playful bot”

1. jmzero says:

Don’t worry, I’m sure the “official” @towerbridge Twitter will be even better. But, to be clear, I’m not advertising it in any official capacity. Please don’t take my account, London.

2. oddboyout says:

Recent tweet on the account says they’ve contacted the original owner about “a way forward” to keep providing bridge info.

Well considering the sheer number of “Tower Bridge *” things that are listed in the UK, one can only hope they will have a battle royal shortly with the winner being awarded the account.

Well they were hoping to promote their museum, hopefully bad publicity is as useful for them.

4. MD1500 says:

They’re now back Tweeting as @towerbridge_

5. MD1500 says:

The minute after I posted that, they’ve changed name again.
    Now they’re @twrbrdg_itself now.

6. dole says:

Given this shining example, I hope that Twitter finds itself absolutely inundated with name reappropriation requests and legal wrangling. Thousands of celebrities, companies and what-have-you can now jack names at will. Nice.

7. safc4ever says:

MD1500: Thanks for the heads-up about the new username. I’ve also noticed that I am still following the account, as I was previously, so only the username has changed with other settings restored.

8. penguinchris says:

Classic. Bad publicity for the takers, and tons of new followers for the original (under a less-cool name, admittedly)/

9. songofsixpence says:

This is a pretty jerk move on London’s part to be sure.

It’s also a jerk move on Twitter’s part.

But, Twitter is a private company and this is totally within their rights. Nothing to see here.

• Gulliver says:

And Facebook. And Blizzard Entertainment. And Linden Lab.

Mind you I agree that it’s their site to ruin as they please. But it begs the question, how long until users begin the exodus to user-owned communities? This is why in 20 years Wikipedia will still be going strong and Facebook will be an internet backwater just like MySpace.

Let my bots go!

10. g0d5m15t4k3 says:

What? That’s insane! If someone claims to be me, they can just HAVE my Twitter account on a whim without me being contacted? Annihilating any past posts I’ve made? Rubbish!

Why do they never ask nicely? In many cases, a little missive stating, “We’re concerned, we’d like to work something out.” would be the clean, quick and easy way. Instead we get demands to delete it all.

Oh right, it’s that generational formality gap.

You can always tell when a company has hired a significant portion of a generation — the tone changes.

Young people want acknowledgement, older people want deference, and never the twain shall meet. It was always thus.

12. jphilby says:

Maybe things like this will make people realize that companies are trying to chop the Internet up into little duchies, each with a nasty set of arbitrary rules imposed.

• Gulliver says:

Unlike realspace, in cyberspace you can go somewhere else. What empowers the dukes is our attention.

13. duncan says:

And so everyone has got their faux @TheTowerBridge, @LondonBridge, @LondonTowerBridge etc.?

14. WarEagle says:

Mind the Gap!

The huge fuckin gap between what should have happened and what actually happened. It just keeps growing.

15. DominicSayers says:

You make it sound like the City can control the way Twitter does things – “having Twitter summarily confiscate”.

In reality, some junior PR person working for the bridge’s tourist attraction has informed Twitter of the trademark conflict and Twitter have waded in with their usual subtlety.

This isn’t the Lord Mayor’s black helicopters, it’s just Hanlon’s Razor.