Throbbing Gristle reissues on vinyl

18 Responses to “Throbbing Gristle reissues on vinyl”

wow… i find most of TG’s music very enjoyable to listen to and have since i first heard them in 1983. I still listen to them often, most recently yesterday afternoon at the office. but then I still listen to EN, C93, NWW, CV, Z’ev, and a host of other wonderful sounds. the drive from Waco to SF to see TG a while back was worth it… especially since Sleazy has left us.

2. scifijazznik says:

30+ years later, they’re still ahead of their time.

A just-out-of-high school me had hoped all pop music would sound like this in the future. It’s depressing to think that popular music has changed so little in the past 20 years. While it has become more banal, Throbbing Gristle records are still vital. They, along with bands like Einsturzende Neubauten, totally changed my concept of what modern popular music should be.

It’s curious to me that both TG and EN are still active today and still making interesting music today. It’s comforting that there still are genuine outsiders, plugging away, doing their thing in a (mostly) indifferent world.

My sincere hope is that these new vinyl issues with extra material will find their way into the hands of new fans and not just old farts like myself who are prone to syrupy nostalgia. Though it should be noted that it is industrial strength syrup.

3. Worlock77 says:

@Gyrofrog

TG have been plenty active since Lady Jaye’s death. They have released two CDs (2007′s ‘The Endless Not’ and ‘The Third Mind Movements’ in 2009) and toured a fair amount (I saw them in Chicago in 2009). However last October Genesis left the group in the middle of a tour through Europe. The remaining members, Chris, Cosey and Sleazy, finished the remaining dates on the tour under the name X-TG. As I understand it they planned to get going under this name, but Sleazy sadly passed away around a month later. I do believe that with Sleazy’s passing TG as an active unit are, once and for all, at an end.

4. dargaud says:

Industrial music in my favorite style of music but I never understood what all the rave about TG was all about: none of their ‘music’ is even remotely listenable. And I’ve heard their whole musicography several times just to be sure. It’s just a bunch of dudes doing random noises, get over it. Can you whistle one of their tune while in the shower ? I think not. Name ONE song that is worth something, one.

• glamaFez says:

“Weeping”

• scifijazznik says:

If “industrial music in (sic) my favorite style of music” how can you be so completely dismissive of the band that invented the term? You want an industrial tune you whistle in the shower? Really?

And I agree with duncan. “Hamburger Lady” has to be one of the most disturbing songs ever recorded.

• dolo54 says:

I know what you’re saying, to me TG was more about the performance and making an artistic statement than creating enjoyable music. I loved seeing them live, but could never actually sit through an album (and I tried on quite a few occasions).

That being said, their artistic value as TG is impossible to overestimate. They strove to break new ground by destroying everything that constituted ‘music’. In order to create something new they had to destroy everything that came before. You cannot deny their musical ability however. What TG members did later on as Chris & Cosey and Psychic TV was eminently enjoyable and you could certainly whistle quite a few of those tunes in the shower.

• gATO says:

@dargaud: Good, I’ll byte. If you like “Industrial” music, but then dismiss TG as a bunch of random noise, I think you’re missing the point.

• Anonymous says:

Something Came Over Me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6144RV4c-9w

You sure can whistle this one in the shower!

5. duncan says:

I think popular music has changed a lot in the last 20 years – it just hasn’t gotten better.

@Darhaud: Hanburger Lady; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrTUC7BDn4

6. MacBookHeir says:

Just like Captain Beefheart, I’ve always thought that more people CLAIM to have listened to Throbbing Gristle then actually HAVE listened to Throbbing Gristle. Music such as theirs is generally harsh and almost vulgar in it’s ability to confront, and not something you’d want to throw on the stereo system while making dinner or petting the cat. That said, these reissues look great. “Zyklon B Zombie” came close to changing my life when I first begrudgingly heard it and if a TG newbie could only have one of their albums I would recommend the “Greatest Hits” collection

7. pAULbOWEN says:

What dargaud said. Also, the rather less lauded Cabaret Voltaire were both more adventurous and more listenable. Wasn’t Cosey a cutie though!

8. Symbiote says:

This is great! I like loads of post-industrial music (I just returned from Wave Gotik Treffen), but haven’t properly listened to TG before.

Can someone recommend a good album? (To buy.)

9. Gyrofrog says:

Is TG still active? I thought they were on hiatus after Gen’s spouse died (and that was before Sleazy died).

I had a few TG albums from when Mute put them out on CD, this was about 20 years ago. After a couple of years I never listened to them. I sold them about 12 years ago, probably a stoopid thing to do but I can’t honestly say I’ve missed them. (It occurred to me later that I still had cassette copies of them, yet I’ve never bothered to dig them out.) I guess TG was more interesting (to me) for what they did, “on paper” if you will, but not so much for actual listening.

The exception would be one of the live cassettes, I think it was IRC 9, I always dug this one and thought it had lasting value.

I always found Einsturzende Neubauten much more listenable, and interesting, though I haven’t kept up after “1/2 Mensch.” Some of their early stuff I thought could just as easily be called “world music” (though rough-hewn) as much as “industrial” (which I recall F.M. Einheit, for one, saying he didn’t think was applicable: “industrial” was what major record companies churned out).

@Gyrofrog

The three members of TG continued on for a few shows as ‘X-TG’ before Sleazy died; they performed a few times under that moniker– a quick search around vimeo and youtube will get you some footage, and I think Chris Carter posted some of that stuff to soundcloud.

11. Nawel says:

@dargaud: it seems you need a little DISCIPLINE!

TG to sing in the shower? Lemme see… Maybe “Don’t Do As You’re Told, Do As You Think” http://youtu.be/ZdIK9Oqdh38

12. cjp says:

Howard Moon: [lifts cassette] No. This, my friend, is Jazz Funk.
    Vince Noir: Oh. The double? That’s even worse!
    Howard Moon: The mixture. The cerebral musicality of Jazz mixed with the visceral groove of funk.
    Vince Noir: Funk?
    Howard Moon: Imagine that.
    Vince Noir: Funk?
    Howard Moon: What a combo.
    Vince Noir: Jazz’s deformed cousin!

13. genre slur says: