Abandoned Australian Deco power-station, rusting and covered in graffiti

17 Responses to “Abandoned Australian Deco power-station, rusting and covered in graffiti”

1. TJBlackwell says:

What an awesome place! I love decaying facilities – they give you a sense of the brief and transient nature of each generation’s time on this earth and the fading marks of forgotten heritage which they leave behind. When treading through the world of dereliction and urban decay, you feel like a mere ‘blip’ in the lifespan of these old structures.

I’ve posted some pictures to the Boing Boing Flickr pool depicting Thorpe Marsh, another abandoned power station near Doncaster, England.

2. PurpleWyrm says:

One of my favorite places in the world. If you get there in the early morning you can have the place pretty much to yourself and the light slanting in from the east is fantastic.

The old cooling pool and shore defenses are also worth a look, and they’re outside of the building for those concerned about the $4000 fines that apparently apply to trespassers (not that I’ve ever heard of anyone being prosecuted)

fear factory shot the video for ‘cyberwaste’ there early in 2004:

That’s amazing, but even more amazing is Cockatoo Island in the middle of Sydney Harbour. An entire island of abandoned industrial beauty which is regularly used for contemporary art exhibitions – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatoo_Island_%28New_South_Wales%29

5. Padraig says:

Hi there,
    The reason it’s called the ‘Fremantle Doctor’ is because the wind appears to come ‘from’ Fremantle and it provides a welcome, relieving breeze during the very hot summers.

6. sudoLoki says:

If only it was actually as dangerous and extensive as your description makes it out to be ;)

7. Dr Hank Snaffler Jr says:

Thanks again BoingBoing! My server CPU is being throttled, so let me apologise to anyone having troubles connecting properly. Upgrade is imminent!

8. gd23 says:

Graffiti is memetic fungus.

9. Michael Smith says:

Until recently there was an abandoned power station in the Melbourne CBD as well. Nobody wanted to touch it because it was full of asbestos, but a street kid fell to their death one night while looking for a place to sleep and now its being pulled down. It had to be in the CBD because it fed steam to operate elevators around the city center. It had this big steam boiler and when it was shut down at the end of the day they used to flush the pipes out with diesel fuel. One day they forgot to wait for it to cool and increased the diameter of the boiler by about a foot in each direction. Still worked ok, though.

For a similar trip around the station in 2009, try http://www.6000times.com/2009/12/fremantle-south-fremantle-abandoned.html.

There are a surprising number of abandoned buildings around the area, I recommend http://www.6000times.com as the best urban exploration site for the city – he makes a point of visiting places that are just about to get demolished..

11. Chevan says:

I’m not really seeing the Art Deco. Looks more standard industrial/utilitarian to me.

12. japester says:

Some of the graffiti is really fantastic.

I was down there a few weekends ago, doing a photo shoot with some friends. The power station gets fair busy on the weekends, as people traipse all over it.

I live 5 minutes from that place! It really is a great site. The size of it and the old Soviet style is awe inspiring. It is right on the beach (Port Coogee) and there have been many raves there!

This place is amazing. I was in it and explored for a few hours with my girlfriend when I was in Fremantle.
    There are a few creepy rooms if you go snooping around

I’ll bet those guys from Romper Stomper did this.

This wont be around too much longer as Verve / the government will be selling and likely rezoning the land.