Warren Ellis/D'Israeli comic about augmented reality with secret UV backstory

16 Responses to “Warren Ellis/D'Israeli comic about augmented reality with secret UV backstory”

1. g0d5m15t4k3 says:

UK£ 19.92 = 32.039328 U.S. dollars

2. hassenpfeffer says:

Just a warning, postage to the US is £9.95, so you’re looking at almost £20 total, or $32 and change as of the time of my PayPal transaction.

It’s no secret that comic books – like movies, TV shows, and video games – are being widely pirated (or freed, depending on your stance). This strikes me as the comic book equivalent of the decoder ring. I wonder how long we have until badmouthing a comic book artist on a forum causes your collection to become illegible.

4. turn_self_off says:

Interesting. SVK is one letter away from “svik”, the Norwegian word for betrayal.

5. Mister44 says:

That’s a cool idea!

6. pmtolk says:

In honor of this epic achievement in the advancement of Augmented Reality I have made a link for you all to get a free account! Now you can make your own Augmented Reality in under 1 minute

Augmented Reality for all!!!

7. Vanwall says:

Wait a minute, let me get my Hoffman Lenses.

Horrified hipsters will shove the UV light in a drawer and never use it again after reading the comic in bed and trying out the UV light in that environment.

9. Zergonapal says:

Sweet, I love Warren Ellis, I’ll have to ask my local comic retailer to get this in for me.

10. Dan Kelly says:

@Zergonapal, it’s only available direct from Berg themselves, not through comics books. ANd it’s a limited run.

If the UK twitter trends are anything to go by I’d get over there and order one now! (in fact I already have)

11. knoxblox says:

This looks pretty cool and engaging.

Anyway…funny how the mind works. Thinking about this graphic novel invariably led my imagination to remember this little gem:

Ralphie: Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

12. Damon says:

Ordered! It looks fascinating. I’m only just starting to read comics – this looks like a great doorway into the genre.

13. imag says:

I love the idea of UV augmented reality comic…

…but if this is the execution, it looks like yet another disappointment for me from graphic novel land. The UV on this page is being entirely used to add predictable “thoughts” to characters. It’s like a recaptioning contest. If this is the extent to which the hidden ink reaches, that’s just sad. Hopefully they also used the technique for hiding:

Objects
    Stats
    People
    Rooms
    Background
    More things I can’t think of

Please tell me this was just a bad example page…

• g0d5m15t4k3 says:

I agree with your comment. If it is just background thoughts and don’t really make another true story, then it won’t be worth the $$ to ship it to the US.

14. Stefan Jones says:

I bought two; it came to US$52.

I’m donating the second copy to an as-yet-to-be-chosen charity auction.

So, if anyone misses out, you’ll eventually have a chance to pay extra to support a good cause!

15. Dan Kelly says:

I’m guessing that the example are chosen for their non-spoiler nature.

Knowing Ellis and from what’s been written about this I’m expecting the UV thread to do something quite interesting with the visible story.