Church in a tree

21 Responses to “Church in a tree”

1. townandgownie says:

I hope the folks going in there pray to the Kebler elves so they’ll drop some nice cookies on them. Otherwise they’re wasting their time.

2. Le_Woodman says:

Haha, the chapels were built in 1696, not 1969 !

3. Jack Holmes says:

Enough is ENOUGH! I have had it with these motherfucking churches in this motherfucking tree!

4. nosehat says:

So let me get this straight:   This weird, old, phallic looking church was built thrusting up into this overgrown bush to help worshipers assume that someone was a virgin.

Sure, that makes sense.

5. technobach says:

Someone needs to build a church around the tree.

“And thus God put a church in a tree in a church, and saw that it was good.”

6. Antinous / Moderator says:

Am I the only one who started humming Church in a Tree?

7. bcsizemo says:

Is the tree still alive?  Looking at the trees in the background it seems like spring time or so, and yet this tree has no signs of visible foliage.  If it doesn’t produce leaves then I’d say it is dead, which means it is probably the oldest still standing tree in the country, but not necessarily the oldest living tree.

8. Le_Woodman  Yikes! Thanks so much for catching the typo. Actually, it’s 1696—thanks for catching the typo. It would be hilarious if it had been 1969, but nope, many centuries before!

9. Brainspore says:

Security provided by Swiss Guard Family Robinson.

10. John Hudgens says:

Reminds me of the treehouse I visited last year – BoingBoing ran a story on it: http://boingboing.net/2010/09/27/god-tells-guy-to-bui.html

11. Spitty Sumo says:

i wanna live in it.  :3

12. xwizbt says:

Sounds like an excellent location for some sort of pagan celebration, actually. I’d join in the rites of spring…

13. PurpleWyrm says:

Hate to be a pedant (aw shucks, who am I kidding?) but I suspect the pious locals built a small altar space, rather than an ‘alter’ space.

Unless you mean they built something strange and alternative – which I suppose they kinda sorta did.

14. Halloween Jack says:

This page (in French) shows the tree with leaves, as well as a couple of small shots of the interior. (I would love more detail on this, including whether or not enough people could stand within the tree to make a “congregation.”

15. Gulliver says:

“Glory be to the Father, the Son and the…”

TIMBER!

“…Holy Shit!!!”

16. robuluz says:

It looks like a thingy!

17. ROSSINDETROIT says:

It’s not the only one.  There are a number of large trees in Europe that have chapels in them.  Recently while surfing Wikipedia for articles on interesting trees I came across a colossal 6,000 year old baobab in South Africa that has a pub inside.  Because of course it does.

18. PurpleWyrm, thanks so much! It’s fixed now—it’s funny how these misspellings have funny secondary meanings.  Thanks for your sharp eye!

ROSSINDETROIT ,we actually wrote about that as well! We linked to it at the end of the blog post actually. (http://www.gardendesign.com/ideas/botanic-superlatives-largest-baobab-tree-pub) The same writer had a funny line about “What happens in the baobab, stays in the baobab!”