Internet Archive's cache of 24/7 TV footage from 9/11 and beyond

41 Responses to “Internet Archive's cache of 24/7 TV footage from 9/11 and beyond”

1. Interesting to note: CNN coverage of WABC coverage, as the second plane struck, live, and yet no one at CNN or WABC seemed to notice, even though it clearly occurred. The disconnect in “live” broadcasting is amazing.

2. PJDK says:

I just noticed that too (on BBC World Coverage), I haven’t had time to check the delay between second plane hitting live on camera and them first picking up on it.  It seems to be at least a couple of minutes.  I guess they’re all looking at notes, trying to gather interviews and so on.  I’m surprised the Cameraman didn’t pick up on it though.  I guess he just wasn’t expecting it and was concentrating on the fire etc.

3. It’s at this moment, that I miss Peter Jennings. That calm, steady voice amid the chaos.

• Bill Heffner says:

On the day we lost Challenger he was advising us that a clip was coming up, one showing the parents of Christa McCauliff. There was a delay and then he said, “We seem to have lost that clip. A good clip to lose in my opinion.” He said it calmly and sadly, and endeared himself to me forever.

4. 9:19 am and on ABC, John McWethy is reporting from the Pentagon. Eerie.

5. 9:59 am, and you can hear the incredulity in Peter Jennings’ voice as he questions Don Dahler: “The whole building has collapsed?”

6. 10:28 am, CNN: “There are no words.” I was watching that, on a flat panel screen on someone’s office desk. through the window, between two buildings, it was possible to see the Towers in the distance from Midtown. I looked, there was the North Tower, I heard this on the TV, and looked back, to see smoke and empty sky. It was at that moment, that this all became real for me, as a haze of shock and disbelief was stripped way as easily as that massive structure took its leave of the sky and plunged in on itself, taking my innocence with it forever.

7. taj1f says:

Oh, boy! 9/11. The Day the “Freedom” Died. Mission Accomplished, Mr. Bin Laden! All security theater workers, kneel and give thanks. All citizen wiretappers, kneel and give thanks. All manufacturers of surveillance gear, kneel and give thanks. All of the folks who design and print “If You See Something, Say Something” and “Never Forget” propaganda, kneel and give thanks. All who have profited legitimately (or criminally) from providing “support” to the subsequent wars, kneel and give thanks. All Hail Terror! All Hail Fear!

8. Rickety Rack says:

I listened to the ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and FOX feeds for both plane crashes. Interestingly, the FOX newscaster was the first to interpret the event as a terrorist attack:

“Oh my goodness there’s another one. Oh my goodness there’s another one. Oh my goodness, now you– now, it’s obvious, I think, that uh, there’s a second plane that crashed into the World Trade Center. I think we have a terrorist act of proportions that we cannot begin to imagine at this juncture”

9. angusm says:

I used to work for a company that monitored TV and radio throughout the US, providing daily reports for corporate clients who needed to know how their business or products were being talked about. During the time I was there, they went increasingly digital, but originally they just had banks and banks of VCRs taping TV programs, with the tapes being wiped and re-used regularly.

On a shelf next to my desk were several big cardboard boxes full of tapes, marked ‘Sep 11-13 2001 – Do not wipe’. Someone had obviously realized that they had an important historical record, in the form of near-complete coverage of US news broadcasts from that day and the following days.

I don’t know what happened to the tapes, but I hope that their contents get properly archived at some point.

• Michael McCabe says:

> On a shelf next to my desk were several big cardboard boxes full of tapes, marked ‘Sep 11-13 2001 – Do not wipe’.

If you can get these to the Internet Archive, they’ll digitize them for you.

• angusm says:

Unfortunately, the company in question just filed for Chapter 7 liquidation. I don’t know what will happen to the stockpiled tapes, but I doubt anyone there is thinking about that just now.

10. benher says:

The day that our rulers made a power play for our freedoms and won.

Not a month after the disaster the “Made in China” Rah Rah commemorative “never forget” license plates being shoved up my ass made America feel more and more uncomfortable.

The Absolut(tm) un-reflection and lack of introspection of it’s people gripped by mob-mentality became troubling.

“Freedom,” “Patriot,” “Hero,” all became ad campaigns and nationalist propaganda. The American Flag a giant cardboard poster of Mao or a bronze of Lenin.

A few dead Muslims, a few futile wars, a few tra-jillion dollars later, if I had to fill out a scorecard, I’d say that we as a nation failed those victims and have shamed their memory.

11. travis_67 says:

is there any explanation of the BBC coming in 20 minutes early on the building 7 collapse?

• grimc says:

BBC has the Tardis.

• travis_67 says:

damn grimc, you hit that softball out of the park… but seriously.

could this have been a peak behind the curtain in a wag the dog script?

• Ari B. says:

Could just have been a lot of information flying around in a high stress situation, and not actually a Tom Clancy novel*.

*y’know, one of the good ones.

• Avram Grumer says:

Travis_67, if there was a secret plot to destroy WTC 7, why would they need to bring the BBC in on it ahead of time? Why not just destroy the building, then let the reporters hear about it normally?

• grimc says:

Because the BBC DID IT.

• travis_67 says:

Why indeed? Yet, there it is for us all to see. On yesterday’s Democracy Now, Brewster Kahle (founder of the Internet Archive) discussed this clip, said he took a lots of heat for releasing it after the BBC pulled their copy from the web. He went back and verified the timeline… it is 20 minutes early…. shouldn’t this be talked about?

• millie fink says:

It’s already been talked about, ad nauseam. For example–

• Robert Mack says:

Everybody knew the building was going to collapse and the FDNY had said so publicly, they clearly just messed up. Why don’t you question other inaccuracies, like reports of bombings that didn’t happen. Oh because they don’t fit into your theories.

12. I hate the whole 30 second bites of this site. Wasn’t there another archive site that had less channels but longer files?

13. double_tilly says:

I wish I could see the second plane better at the 9:09 clip on CNN. I can see the tail fin, but the rest is obscured by the CNN banner on the bottom of the screen. By the announcer’s reaction, it sounds like they see more than we do. I haven’t seen that clip replayed much, maybe later over the next couple of days it was played more.

I want to see if there is more detail on the side of the plane.

14. spotrh says:

Several years after 9/11, I was getting a tour of a major television network with one of their head IT guys, and as he was showing us around behind the scenes, we passed a large room where the raw feeds came in, before they went on the air. I was fascinated with it and I wanted to look in the big windows, but he just kept walking. I stopped him and asked him about it, and he explained the room, then added that after 9/11, he never wanted to see raw, unedited live feeds again.

I wonder if any of the networks saved any of that raw feed footage, purely from a historical context.

• Robert Mack says:

The raw footage is almost to painful to watch, at least for me but heaps of it is available online. http://davidvogler.com/911 this is edited but its one persons collection of what he filmed overlayed with 911 calls.

15. anansi133 says:

17 days and counting, before the 10 year reunion. I’m only a little bit afraid of a reprise, mostly I fear we’ll numbly move along and try not to remember what has been lost in those 10 years.

On the other hand, fear is also a choice.It’s never too late to choose different.

16. coppet says:

It seems I remember that early broadcasts showed people in desperation jumping to their deaths out of the windows.  These were mercifully never replayed in later rebroadcasts.  How horrendous the choice: burn to death or die on hard pavement.

17. bestsean says:

I wish someone had archived television on September 10th, I’d really like to see that for context.

18. surreality says:

I still can’t believe I spent that whole day in school not knowing what was really going on until I came home. My father was home from work watching the footage.

19. bocomo says:

i’m glad this is preserved

there’s no reason to destroy information

20. juepucta says:

I’m going on a media blackout on the 8th and trying to not go back until the 13th or so. Online i;ll handle in small doses but the other media will be full of the usual idiocy and promos for more idiocy so i’m skipping altogether.

-G.

21. Can we participate as archivists ourselves? Is there a torrent with all the archival footage?

22. taj1f says:

Hey Newt. Thank you for reminding me about the first responders and those who were actively involved in the recovery efforts. Those people were/are truly exceptional human beings.

As for the rest of your comments, I’ll reserve mine. Best of luck!