Right Here All Over: a short film on Occupy Wall Street by Alex Mallis

14 Responses to “Right Here All Over: a short film on Occupy Wall Street by Alex Mallis”

1. +1 to the older Sikh(?) TWU member who obviously couldn’t be fucked being there. Made me chuckle.

2. Cowicide says:

The donations keep everyone fed and motivated to stand there in your place.  Please donate.

3. BeB says:

Wait..you want people to give their money and donations? What do you need money for? Money is a wall st./capitalist idea.

• Navin_Johnson says:

You know perfectly well that the protests aren’t about the existence of “currency”.

Another Yahoo “Pulse” user. What is it with those kinds of comments and ‘pulse’ accounts.

• travtastic says:

I’ve noticed those accounts since the redesign. I didn’t want to say anything because I figured it was some hip social networking thing and I’d look like an old coot.

• Navin_Johnson says:

I had to look it up myself ;)

With the old comment system I got into the habit of looking at certain user’s posting histories out of curiosity to see if they seemed like “real” people or astro-turfer/lunatic/spammer types.

4. ekai says:

Beautiful piece. We need more of this.

5. Cowicide says:

Just a head’s up to the moderators… this  link is broken in the earlier post on Occupy Wall Street entitled “Seattle mayor makes Occupy Seattle “legal”

6. This almost made me cry. I was involved in a number of occupations over a decade ago in Australian Universities – the coordination that mobile phones, the internet and central location provide are a striking difference between the two situations. The order at the first aid, food, and media stations was a delight to see – these places and things can quite easily go to hell in a handbasket, but it doesn’t look like that at all – everyone is just doing their bit to make it work, no one’s trying to be the hero.

From the other side of the planet – keep it up OWS, you are amazing, an inspiration.

7. guybrush says:

Definitely respect the movement. But just watching the video, it seems like its mostly young jobless scruffy hipsters, which probably causes a lot of people to discount the movement. Looks like a SXSW festival, kinda fun! Get a majority of the crowd to be suit-and-tie wearing white-collar folk, and it would gain A LOT more attention, sympathy, and impact. Maybe at those clothes stations they should have business attire instead of urban-casual? Amazing how a simple thing like that can change the entire symbolic visual, and symbols are what really embed in peoples’ minds and stoke their passions.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Telling the unemployed to dress better – priceless. Maybe they should just stop demonstrating and eat cake instead.

• guybrush says:

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but just think about it before hating on the idea.  I’m not saying they should dress better: quality of clothing is not the issue. I’m saying they should purposefully dress more relate-ably.  As a tool to increase the reach and power of their message and just as they are using the human microphone method as a tool to manage the crowd internally. These protest could grow into something huge, but only if Americans across the country, in all walks of life, look at their screens and say: that could be me. That should be me. Heck I’m going down to the street corner right now! It should seem like the people who work in those skyscrapers around the crowd literally got fed up and came down to join the protest. Right now it doesn’t.

8. millie fink says:

You’d think, but even if that happened, that’s not a visual the corporate media would use. Given that, folks there might as well be who they are.