"Saber-toothed squirrel" from the dinosaur days

21 Responses to “"Saber-toothed squirrel" from the dinosaur days”

1. gwailo_joe says:

Looks more like a ferret-warthog had relations with a raccoon-rat…and this wonderful creature resulted.

But I’m getting my time frame mixed up slightly…

2. J P says:

I’d bet it was named after the wonderful “Cronopios” of Argentine literary master Julio Cortazar!

3. KBert says:

Eh, just another rodent… from Hell!

4. dagfooyo says:

Damn!  A couple days earlier and this could’ve been my Halloween costume…

5. Art says:

We have these same animals on our property!
    But they’re cuter with puffy little cheeks and don’t have the large fangs.

6. eryximachus says:

They strike me as an ancient version of the Grasshopper Mouse… though they are utterly unrelated.

Grasshopper Mice are predatory field mice whose diet is almost entirely meat and insects.  They even howl like tiny wolves to mark their territory :)

7. awjt says:

Yeah, it’s scrat!

8. MTBooks says:

Is choppers the English term? I only ever hear chompers.

9. Chuck says:

Will they scurry up to you and take bits of beef jerky from your hand?  (May have to “borrow” Percival Dunwoody’s time machine to test this out.)

10. Guest says:

Yes, but was ‘Cronopio dentiacutus’ surrounded by the fossilized remains of a large cache of acorns, and what appears to be a field of faultlines running for miles in every direction, with Scrat as the epicenter?  Kinda sad to think he finally ran out of luck.

11. skeptacally says:

That’s the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on! That squirrel’s got a vicious streak a mile wide! It’s a killer!

12. mrclamo says:

It doesn’t stop there. I give you the Saber Tooth Deer:

13. Rob O'Daniel says:

Must be a predecessor to the honey badger!

14. CountZero says:

First thing I thought was “fuck me, it’s Scrat!”

15. Eric Hunting says:

I like how this sort of validates the classic cartoon theory of evolution, where any contemporary animal could be made prehistoric–and comedically menacing–by having ‘saber-tooth’, ‘suarus’, or ‘cave’ added to its name. I’m imagining a small tableau in a dusty corner of some long-in-the-tooth (pun intended) state Museum of Natural History depicting the improbable confrontation of the gigantic (by squirrel standards…) and terrible squirrelasuarus, the sleek and deadly saber-toothed squirrel and the brutish knuckle-dragging cave squirrel.

16. Stephen Anderson says:

I disbelieve. I’ve never seen one on the Flintstones.