13 Responses to “Indie Jewish music from the 1950s to the 1970s and pop-up record shop in San Francisco!”

1. irksome says:

You should dig up Yid Vicious and The Cash’s album “Never Mind The Foreskin, It’s Yid Vicious!”, Edinburgh circa 1994.

2. mneptok says:

Leo Fuchs the Jewish cowboy.

I’ll bet he does! I kid! I kid because I love! Try the veal.

3. User 100 says:

Leo Fuchs.
    Good for him…

4. Omer Nuriel says:

This is amazing.
    I am a record collector from Israel and I come across many of Tikva records here in Israel.
    Many of them are very interesting and document a “lost” side of Jewish/Israeli music recorded in USA.
    The story of the Sabras and the track “Ho Yaldonet” above is an amazing story.
    Back in the early 60′s in Israel Rock music was considered as “bad culture”.
    It took a little longer for rock music to immigrate to Israel and there was a debate what was the first Israeli rock record.
    I don’t remember which record was considered to be the first rock record recorded in Israel but it was dated around 1965/6.

And then, like it always happens, I think it was Yoav Kutner, Israeli top radio DJ (the Israeli John Peel some may say) was researching for a program he made and found Zal Jungreis & The Echos EP with “Ho Yaldonet”! (Bezael didn’t sound to him like a name for a rock star so he shortened to Zal).

There was no info on the record, so he did a short research, and reached Bezalel and discovered that this was recorded in Tel Aviv in 1963!
    So no doubt, the song you hear above is the first ever rock song recorded in Hebrew/Israel.

In the mid 60′s Bezalel decided to move to USA to learn orthodontics and released 3 albums on Tikva Records (one as Bezalel, one as The Sabras and one as Bezalel & the Sabras).

For me, I discovered this EP on a CD reissue when I worked as a DJ in campus radio.
    I managed to contact Bezalel and hear his story directly from him as I was researching Israeli 60′s underground rock music.

All these years I was looking to find the original “Ho Yaldonet” EP.
    This is an extremely rare EP, pressed maybe at 500 copies, god knows how many survived.
    When I bought my house from an old religiuos couple, they left a box of records.
    When I browsed the box with zero expectations, I was amazed when a perfect mint copy of “Ho Yaldonet” was waiting for me there, a gift for my new house…
    You can see a picture of the original EP

5. Nash Rambler says:

I have to admit that an album of Jewish niche music appeals to me in the same way that The Shaggs “Philosophy of the World” does; there’s something there, and that something might even be good, but I’m not sure how willing I am to explore that avenue to confirm.

6. awjt says:

Today is “wonderful things in the gaping side of an airplane” day at BoingBoing.

7. lakelady says:

It’s wonderful unexpected discoveries like this that make me simply love the internet. Thank you!

8. Teller says:

“decided to move to USA to learn orthodontics and released 3 albums”

Exactly what my mother would’ve recommended were I a musician. Great narrative, Omer.

9. Bloo says:

Don’t forget “¡ Mazeltov, Mis Amigos !”  the Latin version of traditional Jewish songs.. it’s pretty great.

10. noah django says:

please, please, please shoot footage of the old jews telling jokes portion of the Idlesohn Society’s program for bOINGbOING, Pesco!  I need this.

11. shuvah says:

“Ho Yaldonet” (1967) Sounds like something that might have influenced Danny Sanderson…does anyone else hear the echo?