Under the Ice: Research Diving in Antarctica

17 Responses to “Under the Ice: Research Diving in Antarctica”

1. Art says:

WOW! Simply Amazing!!!!  Thanks for the post, Maggie.

2. Lobster says:

November 1, 2011: It’s very cold.
    November 8, 2011: Still very cold.
    November 15, 2011: Oh man, this has got to be like, scientifically unproven levels of cold.
    November 22, 2011: I saw a jellyfish!  It was super cold.

3. baronkarza says:

BRRRRRR!!

4. Nadreck says:

Welcome to the club.  Ontario used to (past tense) have a multi-million dollar ice fishing industry just as it used to have a ski industry.  The current anti-business federal government continues to deny that anything is changing or that anything needs to be done.

5. caddywumpus says:

Thanks for the great post. I worked in McMurdo in the summer of ’09-’10. What a magical place.

6. Daniel says:

Maggie, you are my favorite science journalist except for Carl Zimmer.  (Hopefully this comes across as a very nice compliment.)

7. hengsure says:

Maggie and Henry, thanks for the report. My Buddhist teacher when asked about humanity’s impact on the planet, said with a toss-off laugh, “Sure, we’re going to mess this planet up, and ruin it. It’s what we do, every time. Greed does us in and we never learn.”

8. Shannon Larratt says:

There is of course much beautiful footage of such diving in Werner Herzog’s experimental sci-fi film Wild Blue Yonder — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Blue_Yonder

9. tolmie tolmie says:

hmmm    the people at Antarctica have  a HUGE carbon footprint  imagine all the airlifts that they get,  imagine all the fuel they burn heating their living quaters etc,   nearly every scrap of food is flown in  AND they use snowmachines and other track vehicles to travel around the region.   can you say HYPOCRITE ??

10. Great. Diving in the cold sea, blocked by ice ? This is the stuff my nightmares are made of.

11. David Bresnahan says:

Please pass on my greeting to my friend Henry.

Dave B

12. Henry Kaiser has been one of my favorite musicians since forever. But I had no idea he was doing this as well. Some people just have amazing lives.

13. Strabo says:

I was so hoping that when I opened up the dry-erase board map for a closer look that someone had drawn a dragon on it.  I am very happy that they did not disappoint me.

Also, “Release the cracken,” is awesome (though misspelled, or possibly a pun?).