27 Responses to “Sign the petition against SOPA/PROTECT-IP, and Ron Wyden will read your name into the Congressional record in an epic filibuster”

1. Guest says:

Now there’s some good old fashioned Congressional shenanigan.

2. Lobster says:

So then when it passes anyway they’ll know who to look at first.

3. howaboutthisdangit says:

Sign me up!  Oh, wait, I just did that.

Heh heh.  I hope this filibuster lasts a good long time.

It’s amazing that they can’t agree to fix the budget, but they CAN get enough votes for something like this.  I guess the budget needs some big-money lobbyists.

• heavystarch says:

The trouble is that big money lobbyists are in fact the blockade with the US Budget.  So many special interests from the Military Industrial Complex, Medical Industrial Complex (Big pharma), College Industrial Complex, Agricultural Industrial Complex and numerous Union Leaders unwilling to accept cuts in unreasonable benefits.

Lest we forget the R’s won’t budge on war spending (save for folks like Ron Paul et al) and the D’s won’t budge on restructuring Medicaid/Medicare/SocialSecurity (save for a few reps who recognize it’s a ponzi scheme of another name).

4. ShawShaw says:

Bwahaha! I gave my full name. For once my annoyingly long middle name is good for something!

5. Christopher says:

I’m tempted to sign with the names of every single character from every novel by Charles Dickens. Among other things I just really like the idea of “Martin Chuzzlewit” being in the Congressional record.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Yeah, it would be really helpful to give Fox News a sound bite to run every twenty minutes to discredit the petition.

• the_dannobot says:

Yeah, that’s a good point.  The thought of a senator standing up there on the floor and saying something like “Anita Amanda Huggenkiss” really tickled my fancy, but I gave real name.

6. skyhawk1 says:

My rep is a Tea Party tool, but I’ll sign up.  Is it Nov 2012 yet?

7. Greekster says:

Signed!

What terrible policy these proposed laws are.

8. Dave M. says:

God damn. What does a person need to do to get accross the idea that NOT F**KING EVERYWHERE uses zip codes. give me a damn option not to put one in.
    And don’t try tell me this bill will only affect the states

9. Nightflyer says:

Done.

10. Andrew Singleton says:

Signed.

And yea, if the headhunters come calling we’ll be high on their bag list, but there has to be appearances, at least for a time.

Sure it’s hard not to, but try not donning the tinfoil. Do something productive, like figure out what alternatives would work. I”m looking at Freenet right now but I dunno.Anyone else have any ideas?

11. ookluh says:

6200 views on that video. Now, I might just be concern trolling, but it seems like maybe, just maybe, most Americans don’t have a clue that this is happening right now. There is a reason it is barreling its way through our fetid houses of government: Americans don’t want this.

Someone should tell the Teapartiers. And the libertarians. This kind of government stuff is supposed to be their bane. And they do righteous anger pretty damn well. Seems like some righteous anger might be well in order here.

12. yri says:

Go Ron! Glad to say he’s one of mine.

13. Miss Cellania says:

I signed the internet petition, and soon received a no-reply email from the office of my congressman (Hal Rogers) saying I didn’t leave a valid 5th district address. I certainly did, but what could I do about it? Then I considered I may have made a typo, so I went back to the petition and it said I’ve already signed it. So I guess I’ve been told that that my participation will be ignored by my representative. I wonder how many others that’s happened to.

14. connar011 says:

I’m not American but am often there on business, can someone please tell me if the senate passes this bill does it get sent to the president or is there another vote that can stop it? thanks

15. heavyboots says:

My response to this is simple. Why in the hell are petition sites practically the ONLY web sites on the internet that you’re not allowed to opt out of emails from. I flat-out refuse to sign any more petitions from sites that pull that kind of bullshit. Particularly because some of them are very bad about acknowledging opt-out requests after the fact.

And yes, that includes the site boingboing is directing us to in this article.

16. Lord Byte says:

I wonder how many Mike Hawk’s or Ben Dover’s will be in that list…