The culture of groping runs deep at the TSA: Nilda C. Marugame, a TSA agent from Hawaii, claims that she faced sanctions from her superiors when she reported a sexual assault by co-worker who had generated similar complaints from two other women at the job-site. She says she was intimidated into signing an official retraction of her complaint. She's suing. (Thanks, Marilyn!)

12 Responses to “TSA agent sues over on-the-job sexual assault”

1. BookGuy says:

Makes sense.  I mean, what are TSA agents supposed to do when there are lulls?  Gotta grope somebody.

2. Matthew says:

Can we please shut down the TSA already?  I mean, I doubt they could really stop a box-cutter from making it on a plane if people were determined to hide it.  And passengers would NOT let somebody with a box-cutter take over a plane, ever again.  We Americans would kick that person’s ass, even if it meant getting some cuts from a box-cutter to do so.

• Lobster says:

I agree with you there but… but what if they also have shampoo in a container that’s larger than 3 oz.?

• flosofl says:

Well, in that case we’re obviously fucked.

• jackbird says:

I recently realized that the liquids restriction might make some sense, but because of the nature of the threat they can’t publicly say what it is:

How much gasoline would you need to spill and light in the cabin of an aircraft to kill the passengers and crew from smoke inhalation, thereby bringing down the plane?

If that figure is around a gallon or more  (128 oz.) then it would make sense to want liquids on board to be contained in lots of tiny bottles (gasoline stinks; someone is going to notice before you open dozens of bottles) rather than a handful.

3. Lobster says:

“I was… practicing?”

4. soylent_plaid says:

So a TSA agent is suing over… being groped by a TSA agent?  They might not like the precedent this sets…

5. Lady says:

I don’t see a problem here… If you work for an branch of our government that sexually assaults the very public it is suppose to protect then you should expect on the job training.

6. TheMudshark says:

“I´ve told you a hundred times, not the ones in the blue shirt!”