400-year-old Pendle witch cottage discovered

29 Responses to “400-year-old Pendle witch cottage discovered”

1. just wait until 4chan hears about this

• MinistryOfInfo says:

Heh.  Even though the ‘witches’ died over 399 years ago (and 5 mins walk from where I’m sitting right now ;) ), that won’t be enough to save ‘em from the wrath of the Internet.

2. wooodster says:

This is the synopsis for a horror movie if I’ve ever seen one.

3. pjk says:

“Whoever consigned this cat to such a horrible fate was clearly seeking protection from evil spirits.”

Clearly. I mean, it’s totally obvious.

4. Lobster says:

How the hell did they find someone INNOCENT of witchcraft?

5. The “cat in the wall” thing for good luck I hear is still pretty common in construction (not just for witches abodes) whether it’s talked about very much. Cats are on most construction sites hunting mice and some construction guys are dicks and believe the myth. It’s why you can find so many petrified cats in antique shops.

• DewiMorgan says:

Yeah, I’m not seeing any link between this and a witch, except the most tenuous. Still, it’s good PR for them to claim a link, might get some archaeological research funding, and doesn’t hurt anyone apart from possibly a few facts getting bent.

• plingboot says:

Pendle is a great place for a spooky visit, but apart from the grave of top witch Alice Nutter – actually, I  don’t even think it’s even her grave, just some other nutter – and a local shop or two selling pointy hats there’s very little to see.

It’s a PR stunt, the local tourist officer /’historian’ / shop owner that came up with this was challenged about this on the local news yesterday and was clearly full of bs

• ChicagoD says:

In Der Schimmelreiter they try to bury a live dog in the dike for good luck. It was a superstition I never heard of before that book.

6. Tchoutoye says:

Demdike Stare should perform a concert there.

7. The cat in the wall thing reminded me of several years ago when they were tearing down the old Boston Gardens, they came across the skeleton of a monkey, way up high in the rafters. It had apparently escaped during a circus back in the 1940′s and had lived there a while.

8. petsounds says:

The title is a bit sensationalist. The archaeologist in the BBC video emphasizes that there’s no particular evidence found yet which links the cottage to any witches. Cats in walls wasn’t something only witches did.

9. mguffin says:

They MUST have been witches because they’d have needed magic time travelling broomsticks to fly forward a century and a bit into at least the 1720s to get one of them there cast iron range thingies in the photo which weren’t the sort of kit you could get in a cottage, or anywhere else in 1612. So there.

10. parrotboy says:

I can’t wait until they find the video reels buried in the ashes.

11. demidan says:

She weighed more than a duck.

12. ultranaut says:

The cat thing is fucked. Kittens stuck in a wall provided one of the most horrific lessons of my childhood. I am still haunted by their desperate meowing as they slowly starved to death. And now I’m crying and smell death.

• Culturedropout says:

Wow.  I really didn’t need to know about that.  :-(  Situations like that is why the FSM invented sledgehammers.

13. sockdoll says:

“In terms of significance, it’s like discovering Tutankhamen’s tomb.”

Clearly.

14. Joseph says:

Murdered with witchcraft is the old blinded with science.

15. pipenta says:

That is an oven in the shot, yes? Probably they used it for roasting the small children they caught nibbling on the gingerbread walls of the cottage.

The photo has lovely light, by the by.