Gingerbread Girl: graphic novel of a woman missing her Penfield Homunculus

10 Responses to “Gingerbread Girl: graphic novel of a woman missing her Penfield Homunculus”

1. pauldrye says:

Colleen Coover also does wonderful things with Marvel Comics characters, a now nearly-extinct ability.

2. Simon Champion says:

Not to be confused with the Peking Homonculus, also known as Mr Sin.

3. Tom Tjarks says:

Having just read that, I’m in the envious place of both being content and wanting more.  Does that make me Schrodinger’s reader?  Is there some way to get this on my ipad as a digital download?  If not, I need to go buy this book somehow.  They did excellent work!

4. commenter05 says:

not to be to objective but I was glad i skipped to the end about 12 “chapters” in. It was frustrating browsing it on the website as I would personally make it to ensure the less patient reader would just order the book and be done with attempting to slog through the unwieldy mess. The book is quirky and offers a decent look at an alternative view at its underlying story beyond the first introduction of the main character going out on a date and discussing her mental idioms of her personality and behavior. On a whole I personally found the character difficult to establish a connection with. While it is  possible conjecture that I withheld interest in her dialogues with her date as a result, I feel the story overall just makes one want to skip to the end to find out the truth.

5. Sigrid Ellis says:

This truly is one of the best books of the past year. It’s transgressive in the proper way, the way that challenges readers to expand their thinking about topics they already think they know. Or, instead of “they”, I should say “we”. I found each page, each challenge, to be a delight. Is Annah right? Is she crazy? Is she crazy and also correct? These are the questions I walked away with, the questions I ponder in discussion with others.

This book rewards careful reading, a reveling in each page and chapter.  Coover’s art is wonderful, expanding and complimenting the text throughout. I’m so pleased to see that other’s like the book as well!

6. lm23 says:

I am happy to report that Colleen Coover also writes and draws excellent naughty comix.

“Small Favors”

7. Halloween Jack says:

Seconding Small Favors, which is excellent, playful and 100% non-skeevy lesbian erotica. It was pretty jarring to see Coover make the jump from that to the occasional short feature for Marvel Comics, and this book (which I read online) lies somewhere between the two.

8. bibulb says:

Read this on the web, and really enjoyed the content while despising the reader. That said, preordered the book from Amazon almost immediately as a result. The method of storytelling where almost everything is fourth-wall breaking REALLY appealed to me, be it Annah talking to the reader about her history or a fake mentalist talking to the reader about Annah’s history or a bulldog doing likewise – and it felt natural.

(Also, the site turned me onto Owly, which I’d really, REALLY love to see you do a piece on. Charming as all hell, and adorable to boot. I’m not going to go as far as calling it “Miyazaki-esque”, but it’s pretty fine. Owly – pick up on it.)

9. Sekino says:

Finally got around to reading the webcomic. I love the artwork to bits, but I felt like the somewhat abrupt ending came just as I was getting really into it. Is it a stand-alone story or is there a follow-up coming?

I also can’t figure out if the fact that I wanted to slap the main character was the desired reaction (though it didn’t make me dislike the story at all, just have a huge amount of sympathy for her friends/lovers…)