Bruce Sterling and Jon Lebkowsky: "State of the World 2012"

15 Responses to “Bruce Sterling and Jon Lebkowsky: "State of the World 2012"”

1. Stefan Jones says:

This is must-read folks.

2. terry childers says:

been a long time since i saw anything from mr sterling. nice to see he’s still rad.

• B E Pratt says:

I guess I’ve been following Bruce since, well, before the beginning. I was gobswached to find that he had a published novel [Involution Ocean] and then that later he jumpstarted the entire field of SF . Uh, he deserves a medal of sumthin

3. Marc Mielke says:

Very interesting, but I was kind of put off by the 90′s-USENET sort of format. For a couple of futurists, isn’t this sort of like writing on stone tablets or in Shakespearean verse?

4. SamSam says:

Not knowing what Bruce Sterling looks like, the photo rather took me aback. The rock in front of him and the scarf around his neck conspire to make him look rather like a role-playing elf. Elrond, probably.

You’ll see it if you imagine the rock to be behind him.

5. ultranaut says:

I look forward to reading these things every year. Bruce Sterling is mindfuckingly brilliant

6. . . says:

That was a huge mess. No format, no questions, no conversation, who’s talking, I don’t know, what all this about Italy, a list of loony issues no one talks about any more, and then it ends on page 1. Huh?

7. For some people, the New Year means a party in Times Square. For others, it’s the CCTV Variety Show. For me, it’s two aging cyberpunks going on about how the world is screwed. Good stuff.

8. dorkhero says:

Yet, somehow, the world muddles through, like it does every year, and will continue to do so long after we are gone. We are only important to ourselves, and it is very important right now that I go get a cookie.