Videogame for pigs and people

23 Responses to “Videogame for pigs and people”

1. the lurch says:

While I think this is likely possible in concept, this video shows only a simulation of a app.  At least, it doesn’t look real to me…for one thing, the radiosity from the screen onto the pigs is all wrong.

2. This is really awesome.  The idea alone warms my heart a little; genuinely, more of this please human race.

3. Eric says:

“Next, we are planning to actually realize this system.” So it’s not built yet…
    I wonder if the pigs really enjoy the “colorful display of fireworks” when a goal is achieved.  Perhaps the human should get the fireworks, and the pig should get an edible treat.

4. technogeekagain says:

On the plus side: Environment enrichment is certainly a Good Thing for animals.

On the minus side: Environment enrichment can be done much less expensively…

5. John says:

Gives new meaning to playing with our food…

6. Robbo says:

And then we eat ‘em.  Omnomnom.

7. xzzy says:

I was hoping it’d cut to a scene of pigs actually using an iPad where they play a game of stealing eggs from birds.

8. destroy_all_humans says:

get them addicted to video games so they never want to go outside.

9. Presumably, pigs taste better if they’re kept entertained while they’re waiting to be butchered.

• Right. Because people who raise animals for food don’t care at all about the animals’ welfare, except as it relates to the quality of the ultimate food product.

Did you catch the sarcasm?

• travtastic says:

Tough love, amirite!?!?

• Jay Stephens says:

That’s basically the central point here.
        I’m a strict vegetarian, but I don’t think meat eaters are monsters, and I don’t think most pople are gonna stop eating meat anytime soon. So… surely anything that a) makes the animals lives more fun before they’re slaughtered, and b) increases interaction between our 2 species has to be win/win?

• travtastic says:

‘b)’ is a valid point.

But I  imagine that the primary effect of ‘a)’ would be to prolong the whole situation. “Well, I mean they’re having fun now, right? Not so bad?”.

It would end up the same as ‘humane’ meat and ‘cage-free’ eggs. People (largely) know what’s going on, but they need an excuse to keep the system and their habits rolling along.

• Tess says:

Or some of us really just have no problem eating ethically raised animals.  It’s not a habit, it’s a conscious choice.

• travtastic says:

Or some of us really just have no problem eating ethically raised animals.

You’re just proving my point here.

10. Robert Cruickshank says:

When it’s ported to Nintendo, those little piggies can go Wii Wii Wii, all the way home.

11. Daemonworks says:

mmm…. entertained bacon…

12. eyemyth says:

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

13. This is really a delightful little bit of creativity.  The project page talks about how pigs quickly become bored and need stimulation.  They’re often given balls but grow tired of them.