Satellite photo of Costa Concordia shipwreck

31 Responses to “Satellite photo of Costa Concordia shipwreck”

1. Stefan Jones says:

It is difficult to parse this image. It looks like you could jump from the edge of the smokestack onto that isthmus to the left.

The ship is so goddamned big that I want to see it as a huge vessel in the foreground, floating above the clouds, maybe on its way to an orbital space hotel.

2. rattypilgrim says:

Jena Luc Goddard’s “Film Socialisme” was on our Netflix watch instantly que for a couple of weeks. We watched it tonight. The first third of the film takes place on a Mediterranean cruise ship. Goddard did a good job of contrasting the gawdy, Vegas-like interior of the ship with the cleaner wind and water swept outside decks.
    The ship makes a landing and as the passengers disembark the name of the ship is spelled in large letters along the gang plank. The name of the ship was the Costa Concordia. I think the film was made (or released in 2010).

3. Matisse Enzer says:

The Costa Concordia is far from the largest ocean liner around these days. For example: http://didyouknow.org/liners/
    ” Oasis of the Seas ” can carry over 6,000 passengers.

4. Scruff says:

That is a seriously fake-looking picture.

I keep expecting to see Thunderbird 1 in the foreground somewhere

5. caipirina says:

From 6 years experience I know that Italians are terrible drivers. I did not know that also applies to ships.

6. noah django says:

heh heh heh

7. DebW says:

Odd. . the scale seems out of whack and the bow is floating over the clouds

8. SomeDude says:

Yes, the wreck of the Concordia is probably as fake as the moon landing.

9. urbanspaceman says:

The Titanic, so named because it was one of the biggest ships of its day, sank 100 years ago this April. Modern cruise liners make ships like the Titanic look almost like a dinghy!

And yes, the first thing I thought of when I heard the news about the Concordia was the Andrea Doria.

10. starfish and coffee says:

My colleagues and I were discussing it yesterday. How do you remove this thing? Piece by piece? Manually climbing on top of it with removing bits with hand tools and welding equipment or are there other, bigger gadgets? What companies would take such a job, there must be huge risks involved for the staff. How long will it take?

Anyone know?

11. edinblack says:

The large dark shape below the ship to the left immediately struck me as an image of South America.

12. Here is a graphic showing some of the largest ships in the world:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bateaux_comparaison2.svg  As a merchant seaman, I’ve seen the Anna Maersk, and she is visually impressive when topped out with containers.  The ship I was on at the time was 902 ft (275 M), and even at a distance of maybe 4 miles, the Anna looked insanely huge.

Point is:  Ships be more huge than you think.  Landlubbers.

13. pigeon says:

And if anyone cares how a rescue operation should be performed in situations similar to this:

‘n boer maak a plan.

14. DevinC says:

My first reaction was “What a lucky satellite, to finally get to see what the side of something looks like.”

I wish I could blame recreational pharmaceuticals.

15. Bucket says:

For some reason this is making me think of the cruise ship from the Fifth Element.

Anybody know where Korben Dallas was at the time of the collision?

16. jneilnyc says:

I’m not the first to say it, but it’s worth repeating:  If your fuckup can be see FROM SPACE, you win…

17. askain says:

Que barbaridad…que irresponsabilidad…

18. loroferoz says:

That is no port, artificial or natural, right?  I suppose the ship did not move after running aground, right? What right has a ship that size and carrying passengers to be that close to the shoreline?