Documentary about the Langley Schools Music Project

9 Responses to “Documentary about the Langley Schools Music Project”

1. JoshP says:

Despite until only recently having thought this song was about a Major Tong, which I admit is incredibly sad, the pathos here is amazing.  Even the kid who did the cymbals one outrageous beat too late every time added to it, i’m weeping.

2. millie fink says:

Wow, there’s a doc about this? Excellent, thank you.

“Desperado” has long been on my playlist. “Sweet Caroline” is up there too.

3. franko says:

it really is an amazing album. it’s completely cheesy, completely heartfelt, completely heartbreaking, and completely inspiring all in one go.

4. noggin says:

This is a favorite album I purchased a few years ago on eBay.   I purchased it, unheard, thinking/hoping it would be similar to Portmouth Sinfonia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Sinfonia, which, as a musician, is hilarious to listen to.  The Langley Project disappointed me for the purpose of humor, but that was because there is a musicality and truth captured on it that transcended the technical issues.

We live in an age, now, where any studio or classical recording is so thoroughly edited to correct mistakes and alter nuance that we no longer get a genuine temporal expression of music within the realm of human capability.   There are literally thousands of digital splices in any 21st century symphonic recording.  What  you hear now may be the result of human decisions and human expression–but besides Alan Parsons, when was the last time you bought an album because of who the sound editors were?

The Langley Schools Music Project is genuine and represents more truth in human musical expression than almost anything coming out of a studio now.

5. Scotty A says:

I was trying to remember the name of this album just a few days ago… Thanks!

6. millie fink says:

Okay, I watched it–wonderful stuff, thanks again.

Truly heartwarming and inspiring. Makes me think those two words aren’t worn out after all.

7. Ed O'Connor says:

Good stuff. Also check out this amazing version of the Theme to Midnight Cowboy, by the Girls Glee Club of New Palestine High School (Indiana), also hosted on the WFMU site: