Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Bull99 Becomes Fred Fab 5

PREV • INDEXNEXT

20 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Bull99 Becomes Fred Fab 5”

1. jarmstrong says:

This is killer, Ed.  I’ve been anticipating that other branch of art to wind its way in to the story.  I’m so pumped to see the rest!

2. love this series! thank you! I just sent the link to Mark Bode (Vaughn’s son) and to Raoul Roach(Max’s son). They’ll love it too.

3. grs says:

Was his name originally “Fred Fab 5″ as stated in this strip? I’ve always known him as “Fab 5 Freddy” or “Fab 5 Fred”.

Edit: Or maybe people just refereed to him as “Fab 5″ when he was beginning this movement?

• Ed Piskor says:

” Fab 5 Freddy” was a misinterpretation by Blondie, that was presented in that “Rapture” song, and stuck.

• grs says:

Huh. No shit. That’s pretty funny actually. You create a moniker all on your own. Someone else comes in and because they messed it up while reaching a wider audience, you change your moniker and embrace the change.

Maybe it’s not the same in hip-hop as other subcultures, where you build around your name or rather something is built while known by an alias. I was watching a local dance/hip-hop show and after a couple people/groups performed, there was a short chat segment. The host asked the guests how many names they had gone by and all the people on this show had between 3 or 5 other “stage” names before their current incarnations. And as I just learned, Bull99 became Fred Fab 5, so maybe it was no big deal to change to Fab 5 Freddy. Interesting. I’d say you don’t see many major acts changing names, but then there’s Sean Combs. Even Snoop was once Snoop Doggy Dogg and then Snoop Dogg. So what do I know. I’ve seen many bands change names as members come and go, but the band member themselves usually don’t their individual identity.

/End Rambling.

Thanks again Ed for these Tuesday strips. Keep ‘em coming!

4. Bode’ would be proud to be included.

5. Jonathan Roberts says:

(Standing in an art gallery) “Man, the stuff this Lichtenstein did… (goes home, gets changed and goes out again) …ain’t no different than when a cat paints a fly Vaughn Bode character on their burner”. Looks like Fred can hold a train of thought pretty well!

6. JCR says:

Get out of my Brain! This is greatest story ever told.

7. noah django says:

this is in reference to a commenter in a different thread.  Brood X said: “Kind of makes me wonder if perhaps they developed their warped ethical compass by listening to too much rap music.”
    s/he said it here:  http://boingboing.net/2012/02/28/backyard-brains-at-ted2012-n.html

i have logged a response.  anyone else?

8. My big interests/