Infographic: Charter Cable's dirty tricks to kill community broadcast

9 Responses to “Infographic: Charter Cable's dirty tricks to kill community broadcast”

1. MrBillWest says:

Yeah, Charter blows, but it is the only game in town. We only get internet and the most basic of cable and they charge out the nose. But I will give them a piece of my mind and cancel the cable. Who needs TV anyways? My state Reps will get a call too.

2. Eark_the_Bunny says:

REGULATIONS! WE DON’T NEED NO STINKIN’ REGULATIONS!

3. Kimmo says:

So, the idea is to get American politicians to do something about a monopoly that has a stranglehold on the hearts and minds of the populace?

Good luck with that…

Congrats to anyone like MrBillWest there who ditches the crap.

4. What does the ‘graphic’ part of this bring to the table, above and beyond the ‘info’ conveyed by the text?

5. imag says:

They are trying to get the populace to see the value in paying an extra $40 per month now for long-term savings and local benefit.  That’s not easy.
    Most Americans have been so successfully indoctrinated into the consumer culture that they will do practically anything to avoid a 5$ fee or charge, no matter the benefit to their community.  On the other hand, the purchase of a $700 iPad or an absurdly expensive watch becomes cause for congratulations and envy.

I will be impressed if this organization can successfully convince them to pay more to fight off this attack by Charter.

6. IronEdithKidd says:

I’m never suprised to hear about shenanigans being played by Ma & Pa Kettle’s Cable Shack*.

*I had Charter before I had Crapcast.  Their dish array was situated under a stand of pine trees.  The trees were north and west of the dishes, meaning every time a little wind kicked up, pine baughs landed on the dishes killing a few channels and sometimes the whole collection of channels.  If you called to get a credit for your outage, it never materialized on the bill.  Asshats.

7. Lobster says:

Got to admit, Charter offers me a good price for good internet service and has been very polite to me on the phone.  The only annoyance was that they added a few unnecessary steps to their installation process for the sole purpose of making it mandatory (and charging a fee for it).  My installation guy literally showed up, made a phone call, and left because I did everything else myself but I didn’t have a tech ID number.

That said, it looks like Charter’s only interested in doing that until they can get away with ripping me off and ignoring me. :(

8. Jellodyne says:

Even if FiberNet is losing money, it’s probably a net gain for the city, due to the lower prices the taxpayers are paying Charter — and thus it’s worth continuing to fund enough to keep in business.

9.  Makes me glad I live in a place where there’s plenty of fiber optic infrastructure. AT&T U-verse isn’t perfect, but I know it’s being there as a competitor has kept the cable monopolies in line.