Seed Libraries Crop Up

11 Responses to “Seed Libraries Crop Up”

1. Jason Sutor says:

Yay! This is my community, we really want it to move up in the world and be a progressive place. For too long the community has suffered while every other bay area community prospered. East Palo Alto has been an island of poverty and crime surrounded by immense wealth. The difference being brought here is an emphasis on self-reliance, health and community involvement.

2. Christopher says:

I think this is a fantastic idea, not just for this community but in general. I’d like to see more seed libraries.

This reminds me of many, many, many years ago when I used to grow carnivorous plants. The International Carnivorous Plant Society had (and possibly still has) a seed bank. Members could either trade seeds or, for a small fee, get seeds.

At the time I also remember there being a very vigorous debate between those who felt it was important to preserve plants whose habitats had been destroyed and those who felt it was futile to preserve plants that could probably never be returned to the wild.

I never understood the latter argument. Yes, it is terrible that in many cases we were preserving only a miniscule fraction of the biodiversity of certain areas. On the other hand preserving some was still better than preserving none at all.

3. MrEricSir says:

EPA seems like an odd choice for one of these.  It’s surrounded by cities that have excellent public libraries that are open and free to EPA residents.

• Jason Sutor says:

But they aren’t in walking distance. Many EPA residents don’t own a car. Many ride by bus or bike. The Palo Alto and Menlo Park libraries are ~2 miles from the EPA border. The EPA library is in the city core.

• MrEricSir says:

Any idea how many don’t have a car?  Seems like it would be nearly impossible to take VTA and/or SamTrans every day.

• Jason Sutor says:

No clue. Some homes have 3-5 cars but then there might be 10+ people living in one home. Statistics are really hard to figure out because so many people here are likely “flying under the radar” for better or worse. Oh and the Palo Alto library sucks it closes too early in the evening, by the time I’m off work it is closed. The Menlo Park one is great, usually open til 9. I frequent it, but I am one of the lucky residents with a car.

• Wonder says:

Your concern is noted.

4. In my day we called them fertility clinics.

5. Rebecca Newburn says:

If you are interested in starting a library in your community, go the the “Create a library” page at http://RichmondGrowsSeeds.org. You can also check out our “Sister Libraries” page to see if there is a library nearby you.

6. wrecksdart says:

Great idea!  I love that the library is involved in the effort, and I think your community will benefit with the use of this service.  That said, I wonder how long it will be until the Monsanto legal team advises the library that they have to genetically scan each seed before it’s given out to a patron (you know, to make sure the seeds don’t carry any patented genes).
    Kudos for this excellent idea.