Campervan expands into motorhome, of sorts

20 Responses to “Campervan expands into motorhome, of sorts”

1. Bad Juju says:

And if you’re in the US, you can not has.  It would  be remarkable enough to get that most recent version of the Transporter here..but considering the Eurovan’s abysmal sales, I somewhat doubt it.

2. Spinkter says:

must…   have…    doubleback…    van…

3. Dan Hibiki says:

I like Jeremie’s better.

4. Marktech says:

From the site:

When the legs have extended the weight it can hold is up to 600kgs.

Presumably “up to” 600kgs, dead load; I couldn’t help wondering how those legs would perform under smaller cyclic loads.  If you see what I mean.

5. Flashman says:

The VW van by itself is already big enough to live inside comfortably, without all this extra cost and complexity. If you need more space, get a Sprinter.

6. The ride must be HIDEOUS with those wheels and the weight from the extra gear.

• jandrese says:

I don’t think anybody buying this van expects it to post a good time on the Nuremburg Ring.  Really, this just seems to be a step between a conversion van and an full on camper van.  The price tag looks a might high to my American eyes though.  I’m betting you can get yourself a real nice full size camper for $87k.

• wrybread says:

> I’m betting you can get yourself a real nice
        > full size camper for $87k.

But then you couldn’t park in a regular parking space, or drive down dirt roads, or even drive into parking lots without worrying about getting stuck. Big RVs are great for interstates, but interstates are no fun.

I think the American market is badly underserved by small RVs. I’m not saying I think the van in this article is a good option (I think its ridiculous), but I appreciate the attempt. I have a 1990 Ford Chinook camper, which at 20 feet is considered tiny by American RV standards, although I consider it a bit too big. But oddly there’s a cult market for them since they’re one of the only decent smaller RVs around.

That said, I think Westys and all the VW conversions are too small. My first campervan was a 1980 Westphalia, and setting aside the fact that it broke down all the damn time, it was just a small step up from camping in the station wagon I had before it. I stand by the maxim that a camper without a furnace isn’t a camper. And if your camper doesn’t have a little diner nook where at least 4 people can sit comfortably and take in the scenery, you’re doing it wrong.

7. Take the skinheads bowling, take them bowling…

8. I’ve promised my wife I’d eventually renovate a Westie for her. Now I just have to make sure she never sees this photo.

9. musesum says:

Oil? MPG? Nature? Tread softly? Tent?

10. Lemoutan says:

Who designed it? H R Giger?

11. falnfenix says:

$87k for a Class B is pretty average.

12. gnp says:

I dunno, does it have all the features of the Altra 1971 Camping Car?

13. putty says:

Clicked the link hoping for a Jacques Tati reference…  Leaving satisfied.

14. Listener43 says:

Am I the only one hoping for a Beethoven reference?

15. Michael Rasmussen says:

Looking forward to the stories about the 87 Westy.  An 89 is my primary vehicle

16. I thought it was a hearse.