Batgirl's equal pay for women PSA (1972)

28 Responses to “Batgirl's equal pay for women PSA (1972)”

1. Charlie B says:

Holy discontent!  If she has to wear that outfit, she should be paid more.  Wait, that actually applies to Robin, too.  Congress needs to mandate an extra bonus for jobs that require wearing tights or bird-dog bras.

2. Ambiguity says:

Wow. I saw this as a little kid, but totally forgot about it.

It’s always extremely surreal to watch something that you don’t really remember: each word produces an eerie deja vu feeling. You don’t know what the next world will be, but once you hear it you “remember” it and it’s right. There should be a word for that if there isn’t.

Edit: Oh, and was that really Adam West? The voice always sounded strange to me, like it was an impersonator.

• Editz says:

I swear there was a similarly themed Star Wars PSA that used the Leia/Alderaan scene.  Can’t find it though.

• retepslluerb says:

I know what you mean. When my wife and I visited the US back in 1992, we saw a TNG episode, but only the last act or so.

Months, possibly years later, we watched the same episode – dubbed – on German TV. We *knew* it wasn’t a rerun, yet we also had the strangest feeling that we knew where the episode was heading and at the end we were sure we had seen it before  - yet also sure, that we couldn’t have seen it before.

Weeks later I groked what had happened. Quite a relief.

Oh, er… off topic.

Batgirl is hot and should totally get paid the same as Robin.   Which is zero, as superheroes work for free.

• jimh says:

It WASN’T Adam West! I didn’t notice it the first time through, but after reading the Wikipedia entry I watched it again and could tell quite easily.

” Dick Gautier played Batman because Adam West was, at the time, trying to distance himself from the role.”

LOL, like he could *ever* distance himself from that one!

• Ambiguity says:

I read once that the actor who played Robin tried distancing himself for a little while, but he ended up giving up. He was Robin, as far as anyone was concerned. Then — at least for a while — he changed careers because of the taint (I think organizing fan clubs, if I remember correctly).

Re Adam West: Lady Chatterley’s Lover? I think the cure was worse than the disease!

3. taj1f says:

Bruce Wayne’s a member of the 1%: is it any wonder Batman drags his feet on the issue?

4. jwkrk says:

Hmm, Dick Grayson was Bruce Wayne’s ward, so presumably he got some sort of allowance or stipend for that.  His Robin persona, I don’t know the employment details of that.

On the other hand, Batgirl, was, I recall, the police commissioner’s daughter, and is simply a crime fighting vigilante.  She’s not employed by Wayne Industries.  Perhaps she performs “rescues for hire”, but I think this PSA misses the mark.

That said, I’m in complete agreement with equal pay for equal work…

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Batman was ahead of the game back in the 1960s if he was already using independent contractors instead of employees so that he could avoid paying employment taxes and benefits.

5. jwkrk says:

Come to think of it, in this day and age, Batman would probably sue Batgirl for copyright infringement over the use of “Bat” in her hero moniker.

6. Was I the only one to wonder how Batgirl could afford all those gadgets on a librarian’s salary?   No wonder she demands equal pay.

7. zombiebob says:

Holy discontent lol

8. planettom says:

There’s gotta be a little more info on this out there:   BATMAN went off the air in 1968, so was this existing footage redubbed, new footage shot especially for this in 1972, or what?

9. what does Robin say exactly ? “Holy….” what?

10. Ultan says:

Well, as long as she plays best of five sets against the men, she deserves equal pay.

11. JhmL says:

No time for jokes, Batgirl!

• malindrome says:

I noticed that too.  For a PSA ostensibly intending to raise awareness of pay inequalities, it sure is weird that two of the characters spend most of their time belittling Batgirl’s concerns!

12. taghag says:

wow, i came in here expecting to read how you can tune in tomorrow, and the next day and the next day, until 40 years later women still don’t get equal pay for equal work.

but you guys would rather chat about her outfits or her tennis-playing ability.  where are all the modern men around here? boo!

13. What’s missing from the video: Batgirl complaining about being called Batgirl instead of Batwoman or Batperson.

14. Ironically, I am sure batgirl got paid less for that spot than either of the guys.