Self-delusion is an ugly thing: "While on a 1:1 audio call, users will see content that could spark additional topics of conversation that are relevant to Skype users and highlight unique and local brand experiences. So, you should think of Conversation Ads as a way for Skype to generate fun interactivity between your circle of friends and family and the brands you care about."

21 Responses to “”

1. technobach says:

Because every brand wants its advertising spark discussion starting with “yeah, I hate these  ads they added to skype”

2. NelC says:

[..] the brands you care about.

Brrr, something squamous just walked over my grave.

• niktemadur says:

The brands you care about, LOL!
      Like the Far Side cartoon, these people are like gulls and we all look like targets.

3. Antinous / Moderator says:

Self-delusion is an ugly thing

Also highly transmissible.

4. beslayed says:

Skype really is one of the worst pieces of software. Every time I’m forced to use it, there’s always some problem – usually involving Skype causing the computer to overheat.

• It amazes me that after so many years Skype’s software is still shit and difficult to use. It’s really not a difficult thing to get right.

If you haven’t used it on a Mac it’s a particularly clunky and nonsensical experience.

5. SoItBegins says:

…bleh.

6. ROSSINDETROIT says:

This is a terrible, terrible idea.  And of course completely inevitable.  Since there’s so little money in advertising we’re to be spammed with it every waking moment.  Wait a minute! Subliminal dream ads.  Excuse me, I have to go pitch a concept.

7. ROSSINDETROIT says:

“As we roll out this and additional commercial experiences in the future, we will continue to test, learn and make any necessary adjustments along the way.”

“Additional commercial experiences”?  Is that what we call captive selling these days?  I can’t wait to see what they come up with next.  This week I unplugged our house phone that we’ve had for 12 years.  the only calls that ever come through are robocall advertising.  I never answer it and now I don’t want to hear a recording talking to my answering machine.  Just how deep do you have to burrow to get away from people interrupting to sell you stuff these days?  Even the post office is primarily a conduit for old fashioned paper spam and little else.

8. atimoshenko says:

In a world where advertising works to piss people off, the company that does not advertise will have the greatest number of happy customers.

9. niktemadur says:

Yowza, I found it!  Strangely, there’s no direct link to this “comments page” in the BB front page, so I detected two methods:
    1) Navigate here using the “Previous Post” or “Next Post” links, or
    2) Do a site search using the custom Google thingy.

10. Greggem says:

I wonder if Google will be buying any of those ads to promote Hangouts.

11. Sean Ramsey says:

Yes, ads are annoying. But I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal when a business tries to make money from a service they provide for free. If you use Skype a lot and really hate the ads, then you can opt out by paying for a subscription.

Having said all that, the press release made me want to vomit all over my keyboard with all its talk about fun local brand experiences.

• Admittedly having a Skype number etc is very cheap. But I’m not sure what this subscription is that you speak of.

Only way I’ve seen to ‘pay’ for Skype is to use it for real calls. Amid that’s an entirey different use-case.

Guess I’ll be finding another tool to replace Skype – if I have to payp for something I’m 100% sure there’s something better out there.

12. Also, UPDATE DISQUS ALREADY!!