The mother of invention is teamwork

9 Responses to “The mother of invention is teamwork”

1. royaltrux says:

Poor Alfred Vail rarely gets any credit for the Morse telegraph system.

2. nihi says:

Simultaneous discovery doesn’t mean that they were working together.  One stealing it off another doesn’t mean that they were working together.

• GlenBlank says:

But they weren’t stealing things from each other – they all had similar ideas independently.

Really, once you have electromagnets and wire, the telegraph is pretty freakin’  obvious.  Look – I close a switch here, and the electromagnet across the room makes makes a ‘click’.  Ta Da!  Remote communication by electrical wire!

It doesn’t exactly take an act of creative genius to go from that to the telegraph.  It’s an obvious, logical extrapolation.

It’s just Steam Engine Time is all.

3. Chris Hogan says:

aka “steam engine time”

4. jacobpatton says:

Wait, then who’s Frank Zappa?

5. Ethan Campbell says:

But, but, but…

That can’t be true… it totally ruins the narrative used to support the value of the patents system*…

If that were true it would demonstrate that patents are both unfair and counter-productive, that must mean it’s all a bunch of lies !

* or not, as This isn’t a name demonstrates.

6. RyonRyon says:

“if necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness if the father”
    -me

7. Amelia_G says:

I heard many ideas occur to (“einfallen,” literally “fall into”) multiple separately-working individuals relatively simultaneously. Wish I knew more about this, yet as a consumer I’m grateful, especially if it means we can circumvent some of this frustrating deliberate incrementalism. I also noticed when traveling that so many countries had their own invention stories for the railroad, we couldn’t sort them out. Every nation invented trains.