Nixie tube chess-set kits

9 Responses to “Nixie tube chess-set kits”

1. Ihavenofuckingname says:

I’d have to spend an hour on wikipedia to understand the excerpt you posted.

2. Zod says:

Hmmm, so how do the Nixie tubes get power? Induction?
    And how do you determine the opponents pieces from your pieces? Nixie tubes only glow one color…orange!

3. hymenopterid says:

I think it would be cool if somebody made a USB chess board that enabled you to play OTB chess over the internet.  I’m kind of surprised they’re not available.  Does someone know if they exist?  If not, Kickstart that bad boy.

(edit)OK, well there’s these guys.

• Culturedropout says:

http://trackmate.sourceforge.net/buildit.html might be a good starting point.  Using a transparent board with a camera under it and unique tags on the bottom of each piece.

4. nixiebunny says:

This chess board uses special symbol tubes. The decoding key is printed along the edge of the board.  Each type of piece (rook, knight, etc.) uses a different weird symbol.

The chess pieces glow when placed in any square. There are 64 coils to transfer power into the pieces, and each piece has a coil in the base to receive the power, which is rectified and wired to one of the cathodes.

There are no smart electronics in this gizmo.

5. Cowicide says:

Does this shock your hand whenever you lose a piece?

6. kiptw says:

Wow! Back in ’73, I was taking radio-TV repair at a voc-tech. Lots of tubes around. I thought it would be cool to make a chess set from different size tubes, but it never got anywhere because of the number of different, yet recognizable, tubes I’d have to have, the difficulty of indicating ‘color’ (without painting something on the tubes), and the problem of squares that would seat each and every different tube.

I never even considered having them plug in. They get hot.

7. Ito Kagehisa says:

This makes me want to play a game of glowing orange chess with ROSSINDETROIT or nixiebunny.