Fire tornado

20 Responses to “Fire tornado”

1. efergus3 says:

Sorry, not a tornado. Tornadoes/funnel clouds/waterspouts reach DOWN from the clouds. This is surface based like a huge dust devil. Just a LOT more dangerous.

2. Taniwha says:

um – “welcome to BurningMan” …. similar fire devils have been known to break away during that burn

3. No doubt there will be a small contingent out there searching the smouldering grass for a new set of Commandments….

4. surreality says:

Hello new desktop background. Weather conditions that caused this are disastrous and upsetting, though. Sad.

5. Bird eating spiders, giant sharks and crocs, boxing marsupials and now dragons. WTF Australia?

6. benher says:

Now now, there must be a rational explanation – Like Gawd! Guiding people through the desert!

7. Thorzdad says:

I guess, technically, this is a small-ish firestorm. A fire starts and the thermal updraft stokes the fire and this upward confluence builds. See also: The bombing of Dresden.

8. noah django says:

I was burning a mattress in my backyard last year (insert “you might be a redneck” joke) when one of these suckers shot up taller than me.  doubly unexpected because the mattress wasn’t flaming, just smouldering, due no doubt to the fire-retardants.  then–WHOOSH!  the contrast between the sinking, “I’m fucked” feeling and the adrenalized “oh shit!” reaction was palpable.

luckily, it quickly dissipated and then I was all “that was beautiful.  do it again!”

9. Antinous / Moderator says:

I wish somebody would do new graphics for that part of The Ten Commandments. The rest of the movie is so great (visually) and that part is so cheesy. It looked like the Roadrunner was about to zip by Pharaoh’s chariot.

10. entheo says:

I prefer this link, which shows the Fire Devil in action
    which I found from this link (as oposed to The Australian which wants me to log on)

• Ipo says:

Wow!  It whirls much faster than I had imagined.

(as opposed to The Australian which is a Murdoch site and disables the back button by loading itself repeatedly trapping your browser)

11. Felton / Moderator says:

Wait, how did the Ark of the Covenant end up in Australia?

12. Peter Mann says:

Yep, pretty much everything here is working to kill you. The sky included – if it’s not fire, it’s skin cancer!

13. Frank Diekman says:

Nathan Explosion voice: Woah. Totally metal.