TAGS:

21 Responses to “Downtown After Sandy: Walking 3 miles in blacked-out NYC, the night after the storm”

1. “There’s a storm coming, Mr. Wayne…”

2. sdh says:

eerily reminiscent of 1977. only no looting. goodness how we have progressed as a city and society.

3. BarBarSeven says:

Wow. I used to think that Snake Plissken driving up Broadway was creepy.

Where’s Duke? Is he still “A number 1?”

4. So this is what it takes to appreciate life again.

5. Finnagain says:

Do you think they’ll rebuild it?

6. talbo0o0 says:

You don’t need to go back to the 1700′s to drink by candlelight-  2003 will do just fine!

7. Wow, this is amazing. It’s so strange to look over at the dark tip of Manhattan from Brooklyn and have no idea what’s going on. I like the cameo of Hecho en Dumbo lit by candlelight and bravo for using the 28th St. subway in the pitch dark.

8. Nicky G says:

Sheesh, I caught one of the last Amtraks out of NYC to Baltimore on Sunday. Place in DUMBO my friends got married at on Saturday was under water about 48 hours later I understand. What a mess.

9. Nicky G says:

Lower Manhattan and surrounding environs remind me of Old Seoul in Cloud Atlas, or NYC in A.I.

10. Stefan Jones says:

Something doable:

Outfit each lamppost with a solar cell, rechargeable battery, and a LED light. Not so much light the streets, but to outline the roadway and sidewalks.

• BarBarSeven says:

Great idea! But you know there already are solar cells on the streets of NYC? Right on top of the new-fangled parking meters known as Muni-Meters. Lights? They can’t make money off of light.

11. Stephen Anderson says:

“And to Think That I Didn’t See It on Mulberry Street”

12. Definitely has that “apocalypse-is-right-around-the-corner” feel to it. Plus, adding the Requiem to anything automatically adds a haunting element to anything.

13. Kizone Kaprow says:

Hurricane? What hurricane? Reason.com’s Mangu-Ward described Sandy as a “rainstorm.” Not that a little flippancy (or is it sarcasm?) is not appropriate when millions are going through hell.

14. Jess says:

The music was so overdone and cheesy for this (I don’t care if it’s Mozart) that I couldn’t even watch. It made me grimace at the cheese.

15. flickerKuu says:

Why is this so amazing?  The power is out. Things are dark. So what?