A new biopic about [insert politically biased job description here] Rush Limbaugh was recently announced, and while the rumored directing choice makes perfect sense -- Betty Thomas, who directed the Howard Stern semi-biopic Private Parts -- the person in talks to play Mr. Limbaugh is the comparatively young and svelt John Cusack, who is also interested in producing. Okay, so I've been offline for a while, what with Sandy knocking out my power for a week and stuff. But considering the weight Cusack will have to gain to play this role, similar to how Robert DeNiro packed it on to play Jake LaMotta, has anyone made any jokes about this movie being called Raging Bullshit yet? Surely, I can't be the first. (via Movieline)

30 Responses to “John Cusack is going to play Rush Limbaugh in a biopic -- will it be CGI?”

1. IamInnocent says:

If you have a feature length documentary on all the shit going through the toilets of the whole U.S. of A. for a year, in high def 3D and Odorama, I’d rather watch that than one second of Limbaugh.

2. acerplatanoides says:

Citizen Cain

3. GawainLavers says:

Do not want.

4. robingee says:

Does not deserve a biopic.

• Snig says:

I can’t help but think that a drug using former welfare recipient who has a amassed a fortune by sitting down and complaining that the problem in this world is lazy drug users and welfare recipients deserves some study.  He also advocates for family values, despite four marriages and a vacation in the Dominican Republic carrying viagara.  If there were no Rush Limbaugh, a fictional character with the same traits would be considered to fantastic to be believable.

5. d4l3d says:

To be shot entirely in NarrowVision.

6. GlenBlank says:

I bet it’ll be easier than Andy Serkis losing all that weight to play Gollum.

• Christopher says:

Only tangentially related, I saw a pretty cool horror flick called “The Cottage” with Andy Serkis and was shocked by what a big guy he is. I didn’t expect him to look anything like Gollum, really, but it’s still kind of surprising to me that Peter Jackson looked at this big hulking guy and said, “Yeah, he’d be perfect to play Gollum.”

7. Marky says:

I doubt  Cusack would need to gain weight, it’s not like he’ll be recreating Limbaugh nude scenes. A fat suit would be just fine.

8. hyph3n says:

I wonder if it’s authorized or unauthorized. There were always rumors that Rush Limbaugh was actually insecure, walking around the radio station worrying that he was about to go down in flames. And he did have a serious drug problem, which (rumors again) may have led to his hearing loss. An honest treatment of his life could be interesting. If it’s a glossy ditto-head affair, go ahead and book it on a double bill with “Atlas Shrugged.”

9. Edwin Austin says:

This should be Claymation instead of CGI with the only change being the Limbaugh figure be sculpted from dung to be more realistic.

10. devophill says:

The fact that Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh were born on the same day never ceases to amaze me.

11. Boundegar says:

I wouldn’t look for this movie any time soon.  I haven’t studied Limbaugh in detail, but what I know about him wouldn’t make a very exciting movie.  Unless the Atlas Shrugged gang is bankrolling this, it will probably never be made – and if they are, it will never be watched.

12. pjcamp says:

“[insert politically biased job description here]”

Bellicose gasbag?
    Reactionary blimp?
    South end of a north-bound elephant?

13. Sekino says:

John Cusak playing Rush Limbaugh is about as mind-boggling as Johnny Depp cast as Jabba the Hutt. WHY??

14. Donald Petersen says:

Who knows?  Might be interesting.  It all depends on the script, and the performance Thomas can get out of Cusack.

Probably won’t be Citizen Kane, but then again, Citizen Kane was also a story about a larger-than-life media titan from modest beginnings who suffers pretty major setbacks that are largely due to his own unchecked appetites.

I’ll wait and see before I pass judgment on whether this’ll be worth seeing.

15. Mark Creasy says:

John, if you’re reading this, remember what Clooney said about getting fat for a role. Call him up.