12 Responses to “New York considering taking cues from The Walking Dead, may open up prison to displaced Staten Islanders”

1. Dan Hibiki says:

put some IKEA furniture in there and it’s not too bad: http://www.grosshof.lu.ch/p_gro10.jpg

2. Mister44 says:

Why is it vacant? i thought we had a prison overcrowding problem in the US.

3. waetherman says:

What a horrible idea. Maybe the displaced would say it’s better to have any roof over their head, but it’s definitely not an environment that will good for families/children, or even adults for more than a few days. Being housed like a criminal is only going to lead to people feeling like their mistreated.

Why not set something up on Governor’s Island? I don’t know how habitable the structures are there, but AFAIK they still have a lot of them. They were originally a barracks so one would think there’s room for quite a few people. There’s electricity, there’s plenty of space and they could just make it a half-way stop on the SI ferry route….

• mccrum says:

The buildings on Governor’s Island are not very habitable.  Especially because everything, aside from water, that you need on the island you need to bring with you.  All food, furniture, lights, laundry, everything that was not nailed down was taken when the USCG left.  Additionally, all buildings that were not landmarked (the PX, the cafeteria, the barracks, etc) were torn down over the last year.  This means you’re putting people in landmarked buildings originally built for officer’s housing  and hoping the plumbing can stand up while you organize shuttles of supplies daily no matter what the weather is like.  additionally, the SI ferry cannot actually fit at the dock for Governor’s Island, so you’re bringing back the ferries used in the summer that are currently stored elsewhere.

I don’t know how much time you’ve spent in mostly abandoned buildings, but Staten Island prison is going to have better conditions by a long shot.

• waetherman says:

Oh so everything is gone now? I haven’t been there in more than a year so I didn’t know. Still, it it were me I’d rather live in a tent on Governors Island than live in a prison.

• mccrum says:

No, all of the wood/brick structures for officers housing is there but the barracks are either gone or half-gone with no windows or doors.  The high school there is probably the most livable space, but then you’re getting into limited resources on the island with zero public transportation facilities.

I agree that a tent on GI would be preferable, but from the state’s point of view, it’s a logistical disaster starting from zero when there are built facilities with resources just across the bay.  I’m also not sure how many campers there are on SI that would be as comfortable without four walls as you and I.  Some people get freaked out when there’s no roof and a winter storm coming.

• waetherman says:

Yeah, it was the barracks I was thinking of. I remember them being boarded up, and I assumed that they would be in at least habitable condition with electricity. But I guess it’s a little late for that, and there aren’t that many houses there to make a difference. As for the logistics, I would think it wouldn’t be that hard to set up a supply system but you’re right it’s not as easy as mainland Jersey or someplace dry and protected in SI.

All I know is if this turns in to a zombie ‘pocolypse, I’m going to GI with my tent and my kayak and riding it out.

4. jlo1965 says:

New York is out of their minds. This is their wet dream. Their whole upstate economy is supported by prisons. This is their bread and butter. This is just disgusting to even mention. They need a fre more planes to take out their population. The state needs to be destroyed. The sick arrogent A-holes.

5. jlo1965 says:

6. Baldhead says:

It would suck, but I thnk would suck less than living in a tent over a New York winter.

7. Baldhead says: