David Byrne and St Vincent concert video: Love This Giant

NPR have finally posted the full concert footage from David Byrne and St Vincent's Love This Giant concert tour, which went around last fall. It was one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen (and I've since listened to the album about 10,000 times -- I haven't listened to a Byrne-related album this much since Speaking in Tongues). The footage reveals what you miss if you only get the album: the spectacular performances they gave, especially St Vincent, whose stage presence is amazing.

David Byrne & St. Vincent In Concert (Thanks, Jonny!)

30 Responses to “David Byrne and St Vincent concert video: Love This Giant”

1. AwesomeRobot says:

St Vincent is spectacular.

2. mtdna says:

I got to see their show in Dallas. It was terrific. I’m a David Byrne freak but at this show St. Vincent was definitely the one to watch. An awesome mix of energy, charisma, and weirdness. She actually reminded me a lot of David Byrne at her age.

3. voiceinthedistance says:

When I first heard about them working together it seemed a bit arbitrary, but the album and this concert show that they are beautifully paired.  I don’t think I’ve ever felt as much enthusiasm from David Byrne.  He’s always had a detached quality, but now he’s ENTHUSIASTICALLY detached.  Annie, of course, just rocks everything she does.

4. technogeekagain says:

As a performer, Byrne still covers the musical and emotional range from A to… D, maybe. He does a surprisingly good job with what he’s got, but that’s all he’s got.

• bluest_one says:

I think his range has actually got smaller, compared to the Talking Heads days.

• aikimoe says:

Musical range is something Byrne is famous for, and emotional range is in the listener.  There are lots of people who are moved to a variety of emotions because of his music.

5. winkybb says:

Pretty cool. But what the hell is up with that album cover?

• There’s some kind of story about it. I read an interview (probably here on BB): The idea was to make the old, angular, worn fellow look pristine, plastic and new; and to make the smooth, clear skinned young girl rough and angular: just a form of role reversal.

6. Jim says:

Burning Down the House was my favorite song of the performance.  Either I’m stuck in a rut or the performers are.

7. joe k. says:

This is interesting stuff. Reminds me of end-of-the-road King Crimson, but in an odd kind of brass band fashion. The thing about David Byrne which is what makes him super awesome, is I wish I was David Byrne.

8. yupgiboy says:

Christ, this St. Vincent character looks like the ungodly spawn of Prince and Madonna. I’ve been Talking Heads fan since Fear of Music, but I gave up on DB after “Uh-Oh” (though I loved Rei Momo). This is obviously good and I can’t lie and say otherwise. It doesn’t make me want to buy that new album, however.

• huskerdont says:

Giving up on DB seems a risky proposition. His album with Eno, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, is some of my favorite music from this century. The second tune on the video is from it (Strange Overtones).

• tfd2 says:

i love ‘strange overtones,’ but i think it’s better without the orchestra section.

in other news, what’s up with all the penguin walking?  are her heels that bad?

9. Gordon Stark says:

That was a really excellent performance…
    I am glad Cory shared that with everyone.

10. dexitroboper says:

Aw, jeez. I’m going to see them on Friday the 18th. Thanks for the spoilers, guyz. :(

11. Art says:

Thanks for the post, Cory! :)

12. kingluma says:

I caught the show in Boston and it was good. Here’s a St.Vincent video I found online ;

13. bzishi says:

This version of “Lightning” is amazing. Holy cow! I hope they also release a live album.

14. sdmikev says:

Saw her early last year solo, very much enjoyed it.  With Byrne here.. eh.   David Byrne’s been responsible for creating some amazing music during his career.  Then again, so has Sting..  No offense.

15. Gloo says:

Somehow the lady flew under my radar till now. Thanks for having made me discover her and for making my day with this excellent vidéo. Always loved David Byrne, Tina Weymouth and Talking Heads since 1980 when a friend introduced me to Remain in light. Thanks a lot !

16. cleek says:

there are tons of St Vincent vids on YouTube, but my favorite is her cover of the Beatles “Dig A Pony” : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKhH2xKy60c

it must be mentioned that she is Tuck’s niece:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M56QwDjE6PQ

17. blixa says:

I saw this show a while ago (on a rare night out), and it was fantastic! I was literally giggling through half of it: a weird side-effect of having my awesome-meter pegged for an extended period of time.

18. getback says:

BRAVO!  A terrific sampling of definitive NPR muzak:  bland, suburban and treacly (!)  Every song here is in the same, exact minor key and at the same constipated, white bread tempo.

Pairing today’s Byrne-out sournotes with Saint Vanilla is marvelous!

Since the NPR white-washing to rid the airwaves of ballsy rock and gutsy beats has been going on for so long, here’s a reminder of what Byrne used to be capable of peddling – in major chords with A TIMELESS BEAT (horrors!) and mulitple (rising) transitions:

More so of course, here’s what — and how – he used to sing about TV (a far cry from that ‘I Used ot Watch TV’ dirge):

Someday the NPR conspiracy will be conquered — and America’s jeans will be no longer be available at the organic dry cleaners,heavily-starched with perfect creases.

• Matt Grimm says:

That was perhaps the most pretentious thing I have read in the entire duration of my stay on the Internet.

• getback says:

Thanks! But actually St. Vanilla and the ‘anything-for-a-yuppie-buck’ Byrne are the pretentiious ones. I am for real.

These are excruciatingly mediocre times. You just proved it since it sounds as if you had to wait such a long time to read anyting close to what I said.

Did you check out those links above of songs from over 30 years ago?

Do you hear how Bynre has screeched to halt and is making pablum so slow it catches up with the by-the-numbers Volvo soundtracks of St. Vanilla?

My lament is this: there is no scene. No matter where you go, radio music really sucks hard. It’s either auto-tune crap, hate radio, manicured derivative rock or porridge from NPR (No Particular Resistance).

However, throughout the 60′s, 70′s and 80′s (up until about 1987) musical risk was allowed and encouraged on US radio.

Free-form DJ’s and genre-clashing playlists were wiped off the global airwaves, thanks to Reagan + Co’s media monopolies, soon thereafter. And yes NPR is a huuuuge monopoly disguised as alternative programming — which of course, it is not!

And, if you can imagine, radio Music Directors actually SOUGHT OUT new sounds which defied pigeon-holed categories and recording artists were challenged to keep up with all the new sounds!!

If it were not for taking risks on the air up until 1987, then there would be no metal, speed metal, death metal, goth, punk rock, new wave, progressive rock, acid jazz, acid house, drum and bass — yes d+b goes back to 1988 — or real hip hop and real reggae. You see, readio was allowed and expected to let ‘other voices and truly new sounds’ be represented on the air.

The only other new sounds of the late 80′s /early 90′s were found in clubs: deep house, industrial, techno and rave.

Without risk there is just more conformity. Conformity is the enemy of change. Love this Giant is Indigo Girls is Norah Jones is Mumford and Sons is turkey gravy. Byrne knows the media landscape is scared of change. Byrne knows you want The Same Old Thing and he changed his stripes accordingly ( again, please check my oriignal lnks above as proof).

Byrne’s pimp — NPR — loves keeping its audience in a small box while enjoying national domination as America’s biggest machine of no change.

Risky change brings new ideas — especially in crafting *NEW* music. Listen to the NPR’s playlists for the past 20 years,my friend, it is all the SAME musical styles! No risk, No experimentation. No freedom of new or bombastic musical styles.
        No fun! No wandering from the agenda…

Isn’t it funny there were virtually NO protest songs in the US during the many Iraq Wars and our great economic meltdowns? Boy we sure had ‘em in the 60′s and 70′s, huh?

FM radio used to be about questioning authority, altering tempos, combining new styles and lyrically bucking The Media Establishment’s safe-house of wimpy songproduct, disguised as something new…

You remember livng in the eras of rebellious pop music, right?
        Or are you under 40?

Or — are you pushing 60 pretending you’re under 40?
        Now that IS pretentious (but rampant).

• sdmikev says:

Whoa, take it easy, dude.  I agree, the Byrne of today is pretty schlockey compared to the one 30 years ago (like I noted above about Sting as well.)
          I grew up in the 70′s and came of age, as they say, in the early 80′s – and while not as ‘corporate” as it is now, radio was still run by people that were in it to make money and keep an audience listening.  And they programmed accordingly.
          We have SiriusXM in both our cars and it DOES sort of transport me back to those early days of my youth – minus the ads – but it still sounds like.. a radio station.  Meaning there’s someone keeping things consistent – and dare I say familiar – for listeners no matter the genre.

• aikimoe says:

When you’re pretending to know what is good and bad in music, it’s best to at least get the objective facts straight.  Your first link is to a song by the Tom-Tom Club, which, while formed and led by Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz, had nothing to do with David Byrne.

We get it.  You don’t like the music, so there must be something wrong with it and the people who like it. It’s a pretty arrogant attitude.  And if you think music is in worse shape now, or that music lovers have it worse now than before, then you’re perceiving the world as differently from me as a young-earth creationist does.

19. xyzpfl says:

Too tapping good music with an extra dollop of pretentious trust fund kiddie posing, yum.