David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.

13 Responses to “Ordering pizza with a computer, 1974”

1. mtdna says:

Ironically, if he were to call today, he would probably get awesome service because they’d think he was Stephen Hawking.

2. Preston Sturges says:

Back around 1995, This American Life described a date between two people who met on-line, because this was unheard of.  It included a description of this new thing called “the web.”

3. noah django says:

“Domino’s lost their chance to make history”
    yeah, well, domino’s probably felt like making money that day.  having been the guy on their end many times,  any chance of shenanigans=hang up.  it’s unfortunate in this case, but the Domino’s guy made the right call.  Usually, when people were unresponsive, I’d muster all the patience I could to be nice and say “I’ve got three other callers on hold right now, so why don’t you call us back when you’re ready to order,” but combined with the robot voice, I’m quite certain I would have hung up, too.

4. Spocko says:

Remember when everyone mocked Sandra Bullock when she was ordering Pizza with her computer in the movie “the Net”  ”How silly!”

5. Amstrad00 says:

Am I the only one who wonders if Mr. Mike’s Pizza is still around today, and if they’re aware of their involvement in this historic moment?

6. Jim says:

In Champaign-Urbana in 1982, I ordered a Papa Del’s deep dish pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and onions using a Radio Shack Votrox.  Just for fun.

7. Edward Arthur says:

At 4:42 is a young Sam Kinison look-alike

8. L_Mariachi says:

“Domino’s hung up on Sherman and the computer.”  Just as well.