Makies custom 3D-printed toys, now in color!

26 Responses to “Makies custom 3D-printed toys, now in color!”

1. Mike Eckardt says:

Good first generation… but wait until cheap(er) scanners make it onto the market… then parents can scan their or their kid’s faces to be 3D printed onto these things.

2. Dan Hibiki says:

Those things are nightmare fuel. I need a unicorn chaser.

3. 5onthe5 says:

Why does it feel weird to describe certain skin tones as “cocoa bean”.

4. jondean says:

They’re actually getting less terrifying as time goes on, which I suppose is good.

5. Not so much ‘feisty’ as ‘creepy.’

6. gorfulator says:

Dollies of the Damned… they need glowing eyes

7. David Evans says:

I can’t fathom who would want these in the house. It’s like creepy clown dialled up to 11.

8. Max Allan says:

I look forward to the “3d printed dolls, now with bodies at the same scale as the heads” headline. Then the scary ones can be put to sleep, 6 feet under, in a lead lined coffin with garlic plants growing in the ground above.

9. Editz says:

Preparing children for the future alien/human hybrid breeding programs?

10. Why stop at fairly regular human coloring?  Perhaps ice blue, Orion slave girl green, lobster red…

11. Ambiguity says:

Why aren’t any of them wearing pants?

12. gaiapunk says:

Okay,

I figured out why these instinctly creep people out, it’s not the big heads, nor the lack of pants, it’s that they don’t have any eyebrows or eyelashes likely just do to the limitations of the current printer.  Perhaps the kids can just draw those on…

13. Susskins says:

They remind me a LOT of the giant girl from Royal De Luxe’s The Sultan’s Elephant.

14. Steve Taylor says:

God damn those dolls are creepy! I’d be scared to have one in the room with me.

15. spacedoggy says:

Just in time for the flood of colour 3D printers about to hit the market. RepRap have just released the beta kits of their new 3 extruder Mendel. it’s going to cost a third of the Makerbot Replicator 2X, have equal resolution and 1 additional colour.

For those with a single extruder printer, I find it useful and cost effective to print in plain white PLA, then color parts using sharpie permanent pens. this saves keeping all colours of filament, and makes for easier recycling of objects using machines like the filabot.

16. blueandroid says:

I can’t be the only one who was expecting Maakies. http://www.maakies.com/

17. Frank Diekman says:

Looks like they have their 3D printer stuck on the “creepy” setting.

18. tubacat says:

Hey… I have one, and she’s not creepy at all. She’s a nerd like me, only cuter…

19. Nate says:

Can someone explain why 3D printing for these dolls is superior to regular mass production?  They look like identical forms, and it would appear that the eyes are separately inset, rather than printed along with the rest of the doll.