An early opportunity in the 1950's to visit the New York Times' press bureau in Hong Kong sends John Wilcock on his first trip around the world.
From an ongoing interview and biography of John Wilcock, a prolific editor and publisher of 1960's underground newspapers.
Read The New York Times' appreciation of John's travel writing: "A Budget Travel Pioneer in a Time When $5 a Day Was Real (Frugal) Money" by Seth Kugel (Frugal Traveler)
JOHN'S TRAVEL COMPANIONS ON HIS TRIP:
1) The New York Times also remembers the work of Peggy Durdin.
2) A developing Wikipedia article on Mrs. Durdin's husband, F. Tillman Durdin.
3) The Internet claims to have the Official Rules of "Strip Chess" - also known as the Piece for Piece system.
4) Though subject to change, Wikipedia once again provides the best details of a given individual, this time on the life and disappearance of Jim Thompson.
5) Lastly, Asia For Educators indicates the difficulties of visiting China, or even "observing" the country, as John attempted, around 1960.
A book of John Wilcock comics is now available
A comic strip about Freddie Herko, who was a captivating and influential artist in New York, until his untimely death at age 28, in 1964. From John Wilcock, New York Years. (Supplements include Andy Warhol’s screen test of Herko and an appreciation from The Guardian)
Is Andy Warhol’s eight-hour film a supreme act of considered minimalism, or one of the 20th century’s most notorious art pranks?
From self-driving cars to stock market predicting software to the recommendations you get on Amazon and Netflix, machine learning is at the core of modern technology. You could find yourself building technology that is literally changing the world with the skills you’ll learn in The Complete Machine Learning Bundle. This bundle of 10 courses includes 406 lessons that will teach […]
This Python Mega Course will help you learn to code by teaching you to build 10 real-world apps that each highlight a unique use of Python.Job prospects for coders are still growing steadily—and with Python being one of the most popular coding languages out there today, it’s important for job seekers to demonstrate a widespread understanding of the […]
The Atmos R2 may be bigger than the brand’s previously-released vapes, but we argue that in this case it’s definitely a good thing. A bigger heating chamber means more room for packing it full. And the bigger battery means longer, more fulfilling vape sessions. In fact, you can use the Atmos R2 for up to about 25 […]