An early opportunity in the 1950's to visit the New York Times' press bureau in Hong Kong sends John Wilcock on his first trip around the world.
From an ongoing interview and biography of John Wilcock, a prolific editor and publisher of 1960's underground newspapers.
Read The New York Times' appreciation of John's travel writing: "A Budget Travel Pioneer in a Time When $5 a Day Was Real (Frugal) Money" by Seth Kugel (Frugal Traveler)
JOHN'S TRAVEL COMPANIONS ON HIS TRIP:
1) The New York Times also remembers the work of Peggy Durdin.
2) A developing Wikipedia article on Mrs. Durdin's husband, F. Tillman Durdin.
3) The Internet claims to have the Official Rules of "Strip Chess" - also known as the Piece for Piece system.
4) Though subject to change, Wikipedia once again provides the best details of a given individual, this time on the life and disappearance of Jim Thompson.
5) Lastly, Asia For Educators indicates the difficulties of visiting China, or even "observing" the country, as John attempted, around 1960.
A book of John Wilcock comics is now available
A comic strip about Freddie Herko, who was a captivating and influential artist in New York, until his untimely death at age 28, in 1964. From John Wilcock, New York Years. (Supplements include Andy Warhol’s screen test of Herko and an appreciation from The Guardian)
Is Andy Warhol’s eight-hour film a supreme act of considered minimalism, or one of the 20th century’s most notorious art pranks?
Some people say magic tricks are nerdy and best left to your 12-year-old asthmatic cousin. But others see value in perfecting the slight of hand and showmanship associated with a perfectly executed routine. We’re firmly in the latter camp. And now, we’re giving you the ability to put a few parlor tricks up your sleeve with the Penguin […]
Bluetooth speakers may be convenient to use, but many of them just aren’t that powerful. Sure, it may be fine if you’re seated in front of the speaker. But move across the room, and you may strain to hear what’s coming from those tiny drivers.There’s a reason why the G-BOOM Wireless Bluetooth Boombox (now $79.99 in the Boing […]
If you’re working to build your web programming knowledge, you know you have a lot of ground to cover. With literally dozens of languages, platforms and environments available to coders, mastering all those technologies can be a daunting task.Up-and-coming coders can start learning some of the most fundamental programming study areas with this Web Hacker course bundle – and […]