An early opportunity in the 1950's to visit the New York Times' press bureau in Hong Kong sends John Wilcock on his first trip around the world.
From an ongoing interview and biography of John Wilcock, a prolific editor and publisher of 1960's underground newspapers.
Read The New York Times' appreciation of John's travel writing: "A Budget Travel Pioneer in a Time When $5 a Day Was Real (Frugal) Money" by Seth Kugel (Frugal Traveler)
JOHN'S TRAVEL COMPANIONS ON HIS TRIP:
1) The New York Times also remembers the work of Peggy Durdin.
2) A developing Wikipedia article on Mrs. Durdin's husband, F. Tillman Durdin.
3) The Internet claims to have the Official Rules of "Strip Chess" - also known as the Piece for Piece system.
4) Though subject to change, Wikipedia once again provides the best details of a given individual, this time on the life and disappearance of Jim Thompson.
5) Lastly, Asia For Educators indicates the difficulties of visiting China, or even "observing" the country, as John attempted, around 1960.
A book of John Wilcock comics is now available
A comic strip about Freddie Herko, who was a captivating and influential artist in New York, until his untimely death at age 28, in 1964. From John Wilcock, New York Years. (Supplements include Andy Warhol’s screen test of Herko and an appreciation from The Guardian)
Is Andy Warhol’s eight-hour film a supreme act of considered minimalism, or one of the 20th century’s most notorious art pranks?
The Lytro Illum is our all-time best-selling camera and here’s our best deal yet. Apply the code “Lytro10” to save an extra 10% off on this camera’s mind-blowing functionality in this exclusive one day only sale.
If you’re looking to earn a top salary in the tech industry, there’s no better career than coding. However, sometimes the hardest part of entering this career path is knowing where to begin.We took the Complete Web Developer Course because it took that decision out of our hands. This course teaches beginner-friendly coding languages that will also help land an immediate […]
To be a Pokémon master, you’ll need a phone that won’t constantly die on you. Because nothing is worse than seeing the screen go black right as you’ve finally found the Charizard of your dreams.That’s why we’re so excited about the LinearFlux PokeCharger Portable Battery ($39.99). With its 3.0 Amp HyperCharging technology, this slim battery will […]