FOUR MORE ASTOUNDING THINGS THAT BOING BOING READERS ARE DOING RIGHT NOW!

14 Responses to “FOUR MORE ASTOUNDING THINGS THAT BOING BOING READERS ARE DOING RIGHT NOW!”

1. G3 says:

The people on this site seem nicer than most of the people in the Bible,

2. I’m confused about the STRIPPED project.

I mean, it’s a documentary. Wouldn’t using footage from “Charles Schulz’ TV specials, interview clips from Carson, 1930′s newsreels and more” in the scope of critical commentary be considered fair use?

• The Rizz says:

By real people, or lawyers?

• Funny you should ask! I interviewed one of the filmmakers. Here’s the deal. He wrote up about 2,000 words at the Kickstarter site about it. But, in brief, while fair use might cover it, the courts haven’t been clear enough about it — nor do they award fees or penalties to parties with copyrights pursuing those who assert fair-use rights because it’s not trolling under current law.

The Stripped folks want to release globally, and fair use isn’t a global concept. They want to avoid litigation. To release the film beyond narrow confines, such as to project in theaters, they need “errors and omissions” insurance, and the insurers only provide that if every single clip, music snippet, etc., has clearance. The insurers don’t insure against fair-use lawsuits.

The good news? The fellow I interviewed said that copyright holders have given them *literally* millions in free rights for the film. So they $38,000 they set out to raise was for the stuff that came from big studios, TV networks, and other sources that they couldn’t convince to license for free or a nominal amount.

In practice, you have to have patience and deep pockets before you engage on a fair-use journey. It’s unfair, yeah.

3. Bart says:

I love the spitshake idea. I can think of quite a few of bets/ challenges in my life that would have been better (and far more comical) to have one of those ‘contracts’ to lord over the loser…

4. Promethean Sky says:

I’m the clever one in my group of friends, but around these parts I feel like the kid that can’t stop drooling on himself.

• noah django says:

samesies

• G3 says:

I think the WHEREAS guy should come up with a renewing contract for people on this site that says each year: “In the next 12 months I will improve the world or stretch people’s brains or give something back or improve on the social contract by doing this ___________”

Then at the end of the contract we get together and celebrate, and maybe also craft plans for world conquest.

5. CH says:

All projects are absolutely amazing!

I especially liked the translation of the book for Mali. That is a brilliant idea!!! If there is anybody else than me who was wondering if one can in any way help out, but missed the big red donate tab (yeah, I constantly miss things right in front of my nose), one can donate here: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/dokotoro/thedokotoroproject

6. Florian Bösch says:

WHY IS IT ALL CAPS?

7. Emojk says:

Thank you so much for mentioning our website! I’m not sure I mentioned it before, but the idea comes from foundmagazine.com, an awesome project if you’re into found stuff!

(though of course you should send your findings to us, and not them)

8. Matthew Heberger says:

Thanks for mentioning us too, Cory and Boing Boing! This really made my day, since (1) it came on my birthday! and (2) we’re in the final days of a fundraising campaign and we’ve already received generous donations from Boing Boingers! :)

Every dollar we raise helps pay our team of professional translators and editors in Bamako, Mali. Everything else (layout, illustration, fundraising) is being done by volunteers. This project is a labor of love for us, but we really think it can make a big difference. So thanks!

9. Bok says:

Thanks for the mention, Cory! Stripped should be coming out in the next couple months and I can’t wait for everybody to get to see it! :)

10. avoision says:

Adding my thanks to Cory for the project mention. And thanks everyone for the kind words! SpitShake was a silly, silly idea… and I’m glad folks are getting a kick out of it.

Next time you bet someone that you can eat the contents of a vending machine in its entirety… you know where to go for the paperwork!