High density foam rollers for post workout massage

16 Responses to “High density foam rollers for post workout massage”

1. Michelle Rodgers says:

I tried really hard to use my foam roller, but it slips on carpet, and if you use it wrong it actually feels like you are bruising yourself.

2. Snig says:

Often more comfortable to use it against a wall, rather than your entire bodyweight resting on it.  If against a wall is still too much, you may be able to use it like a rolling pin.  You can also try in your bed, as it may be a little more give, though possibly more cumbersome to roll.  The super high density may be too super high density for you, I and many others like the regular foam roller.  For the back and glutes, try both head to tail(up and down) as well as side to side.  I buy the 36″ version and cut them in half.  This post does not purport to diagnose or treat any conditions, see a doctor.

3.  Mine has done wonders for my knees by loosening the muscles and tendons in the sides of my legs that are difficult or impossible to stretch. Hurts like all hell, but works as bad as it hurts. No pain, no gain.

4. DoctorTecate says:

oh the things people will buy. Certainly you have a round object already at home. I use a tennis ball.

• Snig says:

Tennis ball or golf balls are good, but go to a sporting good store and try one.  Overpriced, but worth it.

• 20$ for a 36″ roller isn’t very overpriced IMO,
        especially for an effective remedy. Amazon and ebay have them as low as 15$ sometimes.

• Snig says:

I may be biased, as I’ve likely been conditioned to thinking about similar kinds of foam as disposable packing material.  I don’t actually know how expensive these things are to produce.  In terms of benefit,  I definitely agree it’s worth the fifteen-twenty bucks, but my thought is that they may be made for 50 cents worth of foam.  If they were though, I would expect someone would sell them on amazon for less.

• A tennis ball won’t cover my
      back, nor will it effectively cover my thighs, and it crushes under my
      weight.The foam roller saves me no telling how much money at massage therapists. And since it covers more area, it saves a ton of time compared to something as small as a tennis ball. 15-20$ for something that not only works well, but saves me time and money, and has lasted years, is a pretty damn good buy.

5. dave3 says:

And I though they were just for giving someone a BOP on the head.

6. Dylan Gordon says:

Gotta say that I find The Stick (or similar devices) much preferable to foam rollers; for calves in particular, but also most other muscles. It’s a bit more work as you have to provide the pressure yourself, but no awkward contortions required! And you can get different aspects of the muscle easier, as well as treat many (groin, traps, etc.) that a foam roller can’t. http://www.thestick.com/

7. Cary Roys says:

Foam rollers hurt like crazy.  But they are supposed to; that’s how you know they are stretching tendons, breaking up scar tissue and such.  (I am a runner)

If you do not feel like paying $30+ for one, you can buy a much harder version that is more painful at practically any Hobby Lobby for about $5.  It actually does the job better (and more painfully, but that’s life).

Also, you don’t really need a long one.  I sawed off the end of my $5 job, and put it in my suitcase for when I travel.  With a bit of balance, it does just fine for what ails me (largely achilles tendons, hamstrings, etc.).  Your mileage may vary.

8. techdeviant says:

I use a foam roller both for massage (back, glutes) and for Pilates workouts. Its great and well worth the (low) price IMO.

9. Mike Notzon says:

As goofy as it sounds, an orbital buffer/polisher  is actually a surprisingly  effective means of producing a great pre or postworkout massage, especially for those that engage in heavy resistance training.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

My chiropractor used a similar, but smaller massagerator. I always thought of it as an orbital sander.

10. Mark Pettis says:

I used to use foam rollers, it honestly never helped. I started doing Pilates once or twice a week and it really helped loosen my muscles. My local Pilates studio kills it: http://www.linkedin.com/company/fuse-pilates