Boing Boing co-presents SFMOMA's closing festivities!

9 Responses to “Boing Boing co-presents SFMOMA's closing festivities!”

1. EH says:

Next Sunday, right?

2. yoshua says:

I read the title, thought the SFMOMA was closing for good, and almost had a heart attack!!!

3. SFSlim says:

THURSDAY – FINAL GATHERING OF THE DPMCT (Dean Putney Memorial Conference Table) FOR THREE YEARS.

See you there.

4. hardcase says:

3 yrs. Almost as long as Don Fisher fought the Supes to let him build it in the Presidio.

5. Miramon says:

IMO, this is the best modern art museum in the country, though I’m an East-coaster myself.

To my mind, it’s clearly superior to MoMA in NYC, and better too than the Guggenheim by far. Better than the disappointing Guggenheim in Bilbao for that matter. The  Musée National d’Art Moderne in Paris may have a superior collection, but the SFMOMA is a far more pleasant space with many very good works, and the presentation of the pieces is better there too.So in other words, I hope they don’t screw it up, as sometimes happens with these renovations.

6. Antinous / Moderator says:

I find it odd that a museum (building) that’s only been open for 18 years needs to close for three years.  Usually these things are planned a half-century in advance.

7. daemonsquire says:

Also part of the festivities, local public radio producers, Kitchen Sisters, have organized a multi-media event, The Making of…, “about what people make in the Bay Area and why, capturing the art, creativity, and innovation happening in backyards, workplaces, cultural institutions, and public spaces throughout one of the most diverse and innovative regions in the country,” taking place at the museum over Thursday and Friday. I’ll be there with some painters from my sign shop, 10am Friday, painting signs reading “The Making of (you fill in the blank)”, for as many people as we can fit into an hour. Line up early if you’ve got a filling for that blank!

Details at http://www.sfmoma.org/exhib_events/events/series/1375